For the Capital Punishment Opponents

Discussion in 'Politics' started by hapaboy, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Wrong.

Executing this piece of shit deters it from being released and doing the exact same thing to another innocent kid.

#11     Aug 18, 2008
  2. All over the place? That's a consequence of looking at the bigger picture, I'm sure.
    By all means, kill that guy.
    But the prospect of a death penalty didn't stop him, did it?
    You can read that rap sheet as well as i can, its evident the system failed.

*Ahem*, sorry about the "half-wit" comment; im sure your at least three quarters of a wit.
    :D

#12     Aug 18, 2008
  3. Executing this piece of shit deters it from being released and doing the exact same thing to another innocent kid.

Big enough picture for you?

#13     Aug 19, 2008
  4. Finally, justice to be served. Too bad it took so long as executing this walking enema bag much earlier could have saved many innocent lives.

--------------------------

Child killer smiles as he hears death sentence

BOISE, Idaho (AP) -- A longtime sex offender was sentenced to death Wednesday for the 2005 kidnapping, torture and murder of a 9-year-old northern Idaho boy after federal jurors who watched video of some of the brutality deliberated just three hours.

Joseph Edward Duncan III stalked the Groene family and killed four of its five members.

Click to view next image

The jurors' recommendation was binding on U.S. District Judge Edward Lodge, who thanked them, dismissed them and then sentenced Joseph Edward Duncan III.

Relatives of the victim, Dylan Groene, remained somber as the jury's decision was announced. Duncan murdered Dylan's mother, older brother and his mother's fiance to kidnap him and his younger sister, who was sexually abused along with her brother but survived.

"The jury speaks the mind of the community," U.S. Attorney Tom Moss said. "By the verdict today, they have given voice to the victims."

Duncan showed no reaction other than smiling as the verdict was passed to the judge.

He took Dylan and the boy's then-8-year-old sister, Shasta, to a remote western Montana campsite where he raped, tortured and threatened them before shooting Dylan in the head and burning his body. Jurors viewed horrifying video Duncan made of him sexually abusing, torturing and hanging Dylan until the boy lost consciousness.

"This defendant is dangerous. He is a predator who takes pride in his work," prosecutor Traci Whelan said. "He earned this day. His actions ... call out for the death penalty."

Duncan acted as his own attorney but had offered no response to prosecutors' closing argument.

"I have no argument," he told the court.
    Don't Miss

* 'The devil is here, boy'
    * Witness: Dylan didn't have to die
    * Jury sees tape of sister's statement
    * Dad reads abducted kids' letters

With an eye toward kidnapping the two children, Duncan stalked their family. In 2005 he entered their Coeur d'Alene-area home and used a hammer to fatally bludgeon their 13-year-old brother, Slade Groene, his mother, Brenda Groene, and her fiance, Mark McKenzie.

Duncan was arrested and Shasta rescued weeks after the kidnappings when a waitress at a Denny's in Coeur d'Alene called police after recognizing the two as they ate.

Duncan pleaded guilty in December to 10 federal charges involving the kidnappings and the murder of Dylan. He pleaded guilty to the other three murders in state court, where he also could be sentenced to death.

"I am so glad this is over. Justice has been served," said Darlene Torres, Brenda Groene's mother. "It's been very painful."

She said that when she saw Duncan in court, "I seen nothing but an evil, empty, coldhearted shell."

In closing arguments, Whelan reminded the jury of Duncan's lifelong "pattern of violence," including a conviction for raping a boy at gunpoint in 1980. Duncan has told investigators he killed two half-sisters from Seattle in 1996, and he is charged with killing a young boy in Riverside County, California, in 1997.

Duncan may now be brought to Riverside County to stand trial in the death of Anthony Martinez.

Whelan told the jury that Duncan would pose a risk even to prison guards and fellow inmates.

"This defendant uses the time that he has to think out these plans and he is dangerous," she said. "He is adaptable and he is dangerous."

The heinousness of the evidence in Dylan's murder made it particularly difficult for the jurors to remain impartial as they deliberate, said Art Patterson, a jury consultant and senior vice president of the trial consulting firm DecisionQuest.

"Generally, for human beings, it's pretty hard to maintain impartiality when confronted with such horror," Patterson said.

"How could any juror not want to see this person removed from our list of living human beings? How could you live with yourself as a juror if there's any chance this human being could escape from jail and do something like this again?" Patterson said.

#14     Aug 28, 2008
  5. Psychological science is to the point where some simple tests can be given, some observations made, some brain scans done and we can identify the psychopaths... piece of cake really... we could give all the non psychopaths lots more freedom and put the psychos on probation of some sort before they even commit a crime... read up on the Ice Man, a psycho that killed 200 people without getting a felony arrest record!! Admittedly he killed a lot of criminals, agressive panhandlers and road rage jerks, maybe that's not so bad overall, but he also killed perfectly innocent and well adjusted people at times........

The current system does not get to the psychopaths until they do something heinous, and usually it takes several heinous acts before we think about offing them... there is little need for any of it, just monitor them from the get go.

#15     Aug 28, 2008
  6. time for an english lesson.
    deter(v): "To prevent or discourage from acting as by means of fear"

while i have no problem with the death penalty or even torture, i believe they offer zero deterrence. people who commit crimes eligible for capital punishment don't think they'll get caught, so why would they fear punishment?

#16     Aug 28, 2008
  7. I think i mentioned "systemic failure" of the system itself, and i disagree with some of your assertions.

Hap is simply trying to score points now.

Now, you support torture? Why?

#17     Aug 28, 2008
  8. That's called "thoughtcrime" and it was suggested in a novel by a guy named Orwell.

#18     Aug 28, 2008
  9. Time for another English lesson. Your definition is but one of many.

de·ter

1. to discourage or restrain from acting or proceeding: The large dog deterred trespassers.
    2. to prevent; check; arrest: timber treated with creosote to deter rot.

[Origin: 1570–80; < L déterrére to prevent, hinder, equiv. to dé- de- + terrére to frighten]

So you see, executing scumbags like this permanently deters them from doing so again.

#19     Aug 28, 2008
  10. Still looking for a rack, I see.

#20     Aug 28, 2008