For someone starting out

Discussion in 'Options' started by Donnyboy8, Aug 23, 2006.

1. So are you saying a person who has no clue about direction can not succeed in options?

#11     Aug 24, 2006
  2. yes because it was a vega bet and vols increased dramatically. Try doing that with LEAP calls off a bottom and tell me how well your port will perform. Moot point at best.

#12     Aug 24, 2006
  3. I'm saying <i>directional option traders</i> aka long calls or puts need to be skilled with the underlying first.

The last part of my original post summarized my belief on spread trading. That also includes any delta-neutral attempts, which are spreads between option and underlying to negate risk.

Anything other than a straight purchase of calls or puts is a spread... defined by "spreading" risk outside of the long option contract itself.

If I were to trade options again, my personal choice would be credit spread strategies in the SPX cash index. For those who lean toward long option premium with nothing else involved, gotta be good at directional trading.

#13     Aug 24, 2006
  4. Well, that explains it. Sorry, didnt mean to pick but its hard to ignore advice such as "If you play direction with calls and puts, buy LEAPS instead".

#14     Aug 24, 2006
  5. Regarding straight calls & puts being too tough to trade:

What if the underlying is an index?

And you bet on a particular direction (with either a call or a put) based on the dominant trend which the index is following?

#15     Aug 24, 2006
  6. MTE

MTE

It doesn't matter, you still need to get those 4 factors right.

#16     Aug 24, 2006
  7. And since indices are less volatile than individual stocks, you can get the direction right and still lose.

#17     Aug 24, 2006
  8. Thanks, will do,

Ursa..

#18     Aug 24, 2006
  9. kny3

kny3

Hi. The CBOE has a link at its home page to an options simulation program offered by optionsXpress. I haven't tried it, but for noobies that want to test strategies with real-time prices, commissions, etc. it might be worth looking at.

kny 3 :cool:

#19     Aug 24, 2006
  10. jj90

jj90

Not to say one doesn't have to be right on direction, move, timing and vol, but one can negate most of those by using frontmonth deep ITM options.

#20     Aug 24, 2006