For Ignorance on World Affairs Among GOP 2016 Candidates, Ben Carson Takes the Cake

Discussion in 'Politics' started by dbphoenix, Mar 25, 2015.

1. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Dr. Ben Carson, a pioneering neurosurgeon, is considering a run for the presidency of the United States on the Republican ticket.

In a new profile out in GQ Magazine, he reveals that he is almost completely ignorant about two major foreign policy issues the next president will have to deal with: Israel and Syria.

First, the reporter describes Carson buzzing an Israeli woman earlier this year with questions about the Israeli political system. Carson apparently does not even know what the Israeli parliament's role is or what political parties it has:

"In the United States,we have Republicans, Democrats, and independents. What do you have?" Carson asked. It was about a month before the president's State of the Union speech, and Carson was in the first-class lounge at the Newark airport, waiting for a flight to Tel Aviv. He'd never been to Israel before, but a trip to the Holy Land has become, in recent years, a prerequisite for presidential aspirants. When Governor George W. Bush went in 1998, he was given a helicopter tour by Ariel Sharon. Ten years later, Senator Barack Obama met with the Israeli prime minister as well as the leader of the Palestinian Authority. Now, as Carson sat across from the young Israeli woman who'd be his guide, he was getting a head start on what he called his own "fact-finding mission." The more basic the facts, the better.

The woman answered Carson's question about political parties, telling him that there were Labor and Likud and a host of other factions in the Knesset. "And what is the role of the Knesset?" he interjected. This prompted a tutorial on Israel's legislature. Carson is a tall, dignified-looking man with a placid, almost sleepy face. As he tried to concentrate on his Hebrew Schoolhouse Rock primer, he seemed even more fatigued. "It sounds complex," he finally said. "Why don't they just adopt the system we have?"​

Next, Carson tries to dissect the Syrian civil war. He concludes that it's “just like the troublemakers in Ferguson”:

"Perhaps we can move over here," the lieutenant colonel suggested, steering Carson's group to a quieter spot to discuss the nearby Syrian civil war. He claimed that most of the Islamist fighters weren't Syrian but came from Morocco and Europe. "It's just like the troublemakers in Ferguson," Carson said, betraying a habit of wedging the unfamiliar into a context he understands.​

There is really little to be said about these remarks except they seem to prove that Carson has little to no grasp on the major foreign policy issues facing the United States.

Zaid Jilani

2. Not surprising at all . . . its parallel to asking Ted Cruz about brain surgery,
    all these numbnuts think is that if they say anything negative about Obama that qualifies to run for Potus.

3. fhl

fhl

because when you're really brilliant........

[​IMG][/IMG] [​IMG]

4. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

If only the deluded were to realize that the only reason why all these clowns are "running" is due to the money, they might begin to pull themselves together and deal with reality, and the pols could go out and get real jobs.

5. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Why should Ted Cruz know anything about brain surgery?

6. Netanyahu: 'America is a thing you can move very easily'

"I know what America is," Netanyahu told a group of terror victims, apparently not knowing his words were being recorded. "America is a thing you can move very easily, move it in the right direction. They won't get in their way."

Netanyahu also bragged how he undercut the peace process when he was prime minister during the Clinton administration. "They asked me before the election if I'd honor [the Oslo accords]," he said. "I said I would, but ... I'm going to interpret the accords in such a way that would allow me to put an end to this galloping forward to the '67 borders. How did we do it? Nobody said what defined military zones were. Defined military zones are security zones; as far as I'm concerned, the entire Jordan Valley is a defined military zone. Go argue."

7. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Curious, Spike. Are you arguing that Netanyahu is worse than Khamenei?

8. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

Nearly every previous presidential candidate has asked similar questions about Israel and other countries while seeking out those familiar with these countries to have a conversation with. I am sure that anyone can dig up similar articles in the past on Carter, Bush, Clinton, Obama, McCain, etc. This GQ article is nothing more than the typical attack piece that quotes the candidate out of context in an attempt to smear them.

And let me say that Carson is spot on when comparing the Islamist fighters that come from "out of town" to cause problems in Syria to the troublemakers who come from "out of town" to cause trouble in Ferguson. The analogy is apt - although it is comparing a foreign to a domestic situation.

9. Ricter

Ricter

Quiet day here.

10. BSAM

BSAM

The phrase "executive order" is so popular these days.
    I hope that the next President is someone like Ben Carson, Ted Cruz, or Rand Paul.

When one of these conservative types get elected, I hope he will set up "reeducation camps" for all the GODless, twisted, perverted people who vote for the Democrat.
    The new conservative President will do this, of course, BY EXECUTIVE ORDER.

Now, don't misunderstand; the people who will be sent there will be treated very well.
    The stay will be three months and will include free meals, free shelter (a/c and heat), free medical care, etc.
    This, of course, will be quite appealing to most Democrats since this is what they scream about wanting from the government constantly, anyway.

The only problem I see is that most of these Democrats will intentionally flunk the 3-month required course work, so that they will not have to return to THE REAL WORLD.
    You know, that world of PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY.

Of course, this will all be done in the name of "improving the economy" (getting people off welfare, public housing, food stamps, etc.)

So, really, how could anybody be against this idea?
    Something to think about.
    Please feel free to post your thoughts about how to improve upon this plan.
    Thanks.

#10     Mar 25, 2015