For guys at Schony, Trillium, Opus, Hold, or institutional traders

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by SwingOutOn5, Apr 15, 2006.

1. No problem. I am surprised to hear Opus is going salary draw against accounts. I think Opus is just Schonys prop division name. So when under the name Schony prop they did have a salary draw too but stopped it at some point.

#31     Apr 16, 2006
  2. I never worked for salary just on 100% payout. I really don’t think you can day trade and make a living in this market. I know people will say you can and they will be right but the % of profitable day traders are less and less each year. I think you need a place you can trade for 5 minutes or 5 days depending on the opportunity you encounter. I think the next step of day trading is computer black box systems. So if you know how to program your on the right track if you want to day trade.

#32     Apr 16, 2006
  3. EPrado

EPrado

Their quants dont force anybody out of trades. Usually the guys who run into "problems" with the quants are guys who either have horrible money management, or are on an extended losing streak. Guys blaming the quants for their failure is a huge cop out.

#33     Apr 16, 2006
  4. EPrado

EPrado

You have some excellent things in your resume...but its too "all over the place". Keep it simple. Head traders/managers who look at resumes spend about 30 seconds looking at them. Also, get rid of all the non-trading things.

#34     Apr 16, 2006
  5. You are probably correct. I was not speaking from experience as I've never work at Schonfeld. Nonetheless, to the creator of this thread in search of a trading job - if you are going to go prop make sure you are clear about your strategy and that you have VERY CLEAR assurance that you can execute your trades in the way you explain to them.

#35     Apr 16, 2006
  6. thanks. simple makes sense

#36     Apr 16, 2006

7. yeah, the discipline.....I don't know about the execution. The plan is fine - that's why I need to get on a desk (amongst other reasons)

#37     Apr 16, 2006
  8. Tide31

Tide31

SwingOut,
    The only thing I'd change on your Resume is the Objective. I would just take it out. You could change it for every job, or just leave the first six words.
    The most impressive thing on it is Berklee. For those that don't know, Berklee is to the Music biz what Harvard/Stanford are to Finance from what I've heard. It's stuff like Berklee that get you into an interview. The only thing more impressive to a Wall Street manager, would be something like you were a Lacrosse star in college, thats a sure interview with a lot of lacrosse gurus. A guy bright enough to get into and get a degree from Berklee wants to change gears and trade. I'd interview you myself but we're not hiring. - 20 years inst. prop at bulge bracket firm.
    The fact that you had the balls to put it all out on here tells me that you are going to find something you like. I was hired for my first prop job because I was asked in an interview why I wanted to come to work there and replied " so I can make millions!" - Good Luck!

#38     Apr 16, 2006
  9. nlslax

nlslax

Lacrosse guys should always get an interview. Great sport.

#39     Apr 17, 2006
  10. tomcole

tomcole

You should play on the Berk connection, looking for an IB who went there and you can convince your MBA is worth something. I have a very good friend who went to Julliard and then got a job at an IB, working in the High Net Worth group, with musicians etc. Great job, he loved it and got to do what he wanted and hang out with people he truly liked.

Private bankers to the wealthy make great salaries, have great benefits and its a lot less stressful than trading.

#40     Apr 17, 2006