for daytrading...which is most important to monitor for market movement?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by increasenow, Dec 14, 2007.

1. For overall market action, I find put/call ratios extremely important.

More often than not a reversal/bottom can be verified through these ratios.

Use them in conjunction with overall market action, especially end of day data.

Good Luck!

#11     Dec 14, 2007
  2. gobar

gobar

for daytrading...which is most important to monitor for market movement?

to monitor market movement watch for GS.
    GS gives a rough idea about the S&P... ...

#12     Dec 14, 2007
  3. lindq

lindq

Just keep things simple and monitor the S&P. By keeping a one-minute chart of the S&P open on your desktop you'll see all you need to know when considering a trade, which is overall market direction.

IMHO, anything else is overly complex.

There is a tendancy in this business to make things a lot more complicated than they need to be in order to be a successful trader.

By and large, most experienced traders will tell you that as their career progressed, their indicators and setups got less complicated, not more.

#13     Dec 14, 2007
  4. Just indexes (Dow, Nasd, SP500) for me.

Other info is not really needed for my system.

#14     Dec 14, 2007
  5. 1. That is what the traders on the CME are doing. When they see a Premium, they sell futures, if they can't buy them back cheaper, they arb by buying baskets of stocks or the complete S&P500. This is part of market mechanics and program trading.

2. Pivot points tend to be "self fulfillijng prophecies" quite often, because the larger floor traders are fully aware of them. Watch a while, and you'll see what I mean. Of course, when we have drastic moves up and down, the next day's pivots might be too far out of range to be of much help. Most days you'll see a pattern. Today for example, as of now, R1 is 1506, high for the day is 1505.25. Low for today is 1485.50, S1 is 1485.

3. TICK is simply the net number of upticks vs. downticks. At around 800 either way, start looking for a short term market reversal.

All the best,

Don

#15     Dec 14, 2007
  6. There is nothing wrong with picking a "wild card" when your stocks are idle. I just don't recommend that for newer traders.

Don

#16     Dec 14, 2007
  7. Feel free to go to www.stocktrading.com/Tradinginfo.htm to see the FV numbers and pivots and a bunch of other stuff that I post up pre-market every day (up/downgrades, earnings, and some internal Bright Trading stuff which you can ignore, LOL).

SPX + FV = Parity. Futures minus parity = PREM or DISC.

All the best, sorry for the 3 seperate responses.

Don

#17     Dec 14, 2007
  8. I tend to agree, but I also think that after a few years "in the saddle" that traders can simply glance a few things to get an instant feel for what is happening, without the "step by step" of each indicator.

I like keeping the squawk box on from the S&P pit, they give a lot ot additonal information which I find helpful. My brother and I go nuts when it's not on, LOL.

Don

#18     Dec 14, 2007
  9. webbma

webbma

Where can you find the net tick data? Does anyone use bloomberg? If so, is there a function on bloomberg?

#19     Dec 17, 2007
  10. I just keep and eye on SPY (S&P etf)

#20     Dec 17, 2007