(For all you tape readers) I'm long 10000 shares of a

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Sky123987, Mar 27, 2008.

1. I know that backtesting can be of little value, however I ended up testing a strategy where you buy when the price is > 200 MA and sell when price is < 200 MA. I did this on about 500 stocks

The strategy lost money

#11     Mar 27, 2008
  2. GGSAE

GGSAE

Maybe you should tone down the size a bit, that's a good size position to be caught in if it starts moving against you fast. Do you have the experience and edge to trade with big size in case something happens?

#12     Mar 27, 2008
  3. That's probably a good idea.

Also i ended up testing a strategy if you buy when price > 50 MA and selling when price is < 50 MA.

and the strategy lost.

I've always believe that TA is a bunch of garbage so i never used in trading

#13     Mar 27, 2008
  4. I assumed it was a longer term hold, didn't think anyone would dive in with 10,000 shares of a "news" type stock for a daytrade, especailly if you're relatively new to this whole thing.

Good luck in any event!

Don

And, FWIW, we teach our traders who "day" trade, to pick a couple of stocks, trade them day in and day out. Not too smart to dive into a new stock each day. Much like being better to bring people to YOUR poker game, vs. going to a new game with new players every day.

#14     Mar 27, 2008
  5. You are inconsistent with your thinking, TA is or is not garbage. TA like backtesting just shows the past. Not too many systems whether they are TA based or MIT or NASA based predict the future too well. Does that mean that everyone is guessing, Uh oh!!:)

#15     Mar 27, 2008
  6. heypa

heypa

SKY
    Are you sure you have the little arrows pointing in the right direction before you condemn?

#16     Mar 27, 2008