For all the crybabies: Why not say "FU IRS" and leave the US?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by makloda, Jan 31, 2009.

1. The premise of the question, 'will you still stay here if the tax rate hits 90%,' was so far removed from reality that I assumed it was rhetorical. One doesn't normally answer rhetorical questions. Regardless, my answer is the same. The proper response by an American citizen unhappy with a 90% tax rate is to peacefully protest, organize and vote out the responsible officials. That's the American way. Fleeing is not.

#31     Jan 31, 2009
  2. Peaceful protest has never accomplished anything.

What good is voting out the responsible officials when the new boss is the same as the old boss?

The American thing to do would be to start a revolution.

#32     Jan 31, 2009
  3. Daal

Daal

BS, if you will support your country without any basis on law, reality, its people,etc then what is your love based on?A random event that made you be born there?
    twain just bought on the propaganda spread by policiticans so they keep getting people to enlist in the army

#33     Feb 1, 2009
  4. Specterx

Specterx

Here here.

#34     Feb 1, 2009
  5. 9999

I don't get it.
    If he still has a Can. passport, he's still a Can. citizen, right? A citizen is (or at least should be) allowed to remain in his/her country for as long as he/she likes or lives. I suspect this 180 days ban is job related.

#35     Feb 4, 2009
  6. Yes, still Canadian citizen. This is related to the "sever all ties to Canada" though.

If you "maintain a presence" in Canada you will have to pay taxes on worldwide income. If you "sever all ties", you can get around it from what I understand. That includes "residential ties".

http://www.escapeartist.com/efam/86/canada_tax.html

#36     Feb 4, 2009
  7. FYI... the IRS requires taxes for a period of 10 years after renouncing US citizenship. And Americans living abroad are only exempt from the first $80k in income.

The bottom line is: All Americans anywhere in the world must pay taxes to the US government. If you don't.. you are a criminal and subject to US laws. Advise: pay your taxes or pay a lot of lawyers and stay out of the USA for the rest of your life. Even billionaire Marc Rich is afraid to step foot in the US... even with friends like Bill and Hillary.

#37     Feb 4, 2009
  8. and you thought being American you were born free...

#38     Feb 4, 2009
  9. "P.L. 104-191 contains changes in the taxation of U.S. citizens who renounce or otherwise lose U.S. citizenship. In general, any person who lost U.S. citizenship within 10 years immediately preceding the close of the taxable year, whose principle purpose in losing citizenship was to avoid taxation, will be subject to continued taxation."

http://travel.state.gov/law/citizenship/citizenship_778.html

Burden of proof is probably on the IRS to determine the "principle purpose".

#39     Feb 4, 2009
  10. Daal

Daal

I'd caution anyone into believing things 'cant be done', its amazing how often people say that without any info just because they dont know/cant

George Soros is a multibilionarie and found loopholes to compound his wealth tax free(though he pays taxes on the portion he eventually spends) through Curacao structures. The guy is costing the IRS hundreds of millions every year and yet the loopholes stays there and he is not in jail

#40     Feb 4, 2009