For active traders: which tax status have you chosen? Investor, Trader Status, or Mark to Market?

Discussion in 'Taxes and Accounting' started by jdegg79, Apr 9, 2018.

Which tax status did you choose?

1. Investor

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Trader Status

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Mark to Market

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  1. jdegg79

jdegg79

For those who would qualify for trader status, which do you choose between the options and why?

2. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

piezoe and sysdevel99 like this.
  3. jdegg79

jdegg79

4. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

That is not my understanding but you should consult an expert.

5. 475f election.

It's easier to deal with.

6. R1234

R1234

I have an entity that has elected mark-to-market accounting IRC 475(f) for trading in securities.
    If you are doing high trading volume where the traded tickers repeat day after day then you pretty much have to do this election. Otherwise a life-altering surprise can await you at tax time due to "wash sales".

zghorner likes this.
  7. tiddlywinks

tiddlywinks

TTS and MTM are two different things.

For an individual or entity to make an MTM accounting election, AND HAVE IT APPROVED BY THE IRS, the individual or entity must qualify as a "trader" or a dealer in the eyes of of the IRS. Enter TTS which has no "official" definition other than through case law study.

Worth mentioning, is the fact MTM accounting is PERMANENT unless permission is granted by the IRS to change accounting method. TTS is a tax year-by-tax year qualification.

Seek professional advise.

Adam E. Spence CPA likes this.
  8. jdegg79

jdegg79

I see Investor is the number one answer so far. If you do qualify for Trader Status, what reason's are there for keeping Investor status?

9. sprstpd

sprstpd

This is correct.

10. sprstpd

sprstpd

You can qualify for trader status and MTM and still have investment accounts that are segregated from your trading activities.

#10     Apr 10, 2018
    Adam E. Spence CPA likes this.