Footware

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by CaptainObvious, May 21, 2018.

1. About time for a new pair of shoes to wear at the gym. Frankly, I've never put much thought into it, which may be a mistake. Lifting while barefoot or wearing the minimalist type shoes has been a theme for awhile. Bro-science, or true? Your thoughts please.
    https://www.t-nation.com/training/go-barefoot-to-get-stronger

2. For lifting I am happy with the Reebok cross trainers as they are flat with comfort and good support for squats, cleans and deadlifts. Not good shoes for general walking around the city or running but for walking around gym and lifting they work for me.

3. Baron

Baron ET Founder

You'll think going barefoot is the stupidest thing you've ever done the first time you hit your toes on the steel base of a machine or some dumbbells on the floor. Been there done that.

These are the shoes I use and they are great. If you have a wide foot, these are very comfortable.

4. I'm using what is called "chucks" in the article you refer to. And for the reason as mentioned there: flat sole, not bouncy. But mine are not high around the ankles.
    I would say that for most exercises it doesn't really matter what kind of sneakers you wear. Only for things like squads and deadlifts would good solid contact of your feet with the floor be beneficial.

5. Although I've used cross trainers in the past, I now prefer running shoes because, to my knowledge, they bend more easily at the toe than do other sports shoes. That just makes walking more natural and feels better when doing calf raises.

Barefoot? I'm not interested in getting too acquainted with the gym floor's ecosystem. I wouldn't even take a shower in the gym without sandals.

Baron likes this.
  6. Never really considered barefoot for all the obvious reasons. Lots of choices out there, but at the end of the day it's about comfort for me. Thanks for the comments.

7. Also depends if you are going to the gym for pure Olympic lifting or doing cardio/machines plus benching and dumbbells.