FootPrint Charts

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by tommo, Aug 12, 2019.

1. MichalTr

MichalTr

Hi @tommo

You can use:
    - Investor RT (I'm sure your broker support that) + footprint from https://amstradinggroup.com
    - Sierra Chart (your broker support it for sure) - they have their own footprint in Package 5 (called Number Bars) or Sierra Chart package 3 + footprint from https://www.emojitrading.com
    - CQG (e.g. QTrader) - you can use original MarketDelta footprint with CQG (as add-on to CQG platform)
    - Multicharts - they have their own version of footprint (called Delta Bars)
    - ATAS (I'm not so sure about this platform and I think you can use it only with Rithmic, but not sure)
    - Ninjatrader 8 (7 doesn't provide historical bid ask) with their own footprint (if you lease or own platform) or free version with e.g. (there is a lot of options) footprint from http://www.ranchodinero.com (probably your broker doesn't support Ninjatrader for trading, but you can use it as charting software)
    - there are some other solutions (like Tradovate platform or Overcharts platform), but are not universal (e.g. Tradovate is only for Tradovate broker, Overchart - I don't even know with which broker you can use it)

Hope it helps.

#11     Aug 12, 2019
    themickey, tommo and Robert Morse like this.
  2. tommo

tommo

Very helpful. Thank you

#12     Aug 12, 2019
    MichalTr likes this.
  3. MattZ

MattZ Sponsor

#13     Aug 12, 2019
    tommo likes this.
  4. themickey

themickey

Nice constructive thread & replies, good to see.

#14     Aug 12, 2019
  5. Overnight

Overnight

I tried my best. It looks like a heat map of maximum number of bid v. ask orders at each position of the bar? The yellow box is OHLC information for that bar.

upload_2019-8-12_12-15-37redone.jpg

#15     Aug 12, 2019
  6. MotiveWave

MotiveWave Sponsor

MotiveWave has footprint charts (Volume Imprint) as well as all the Volume and Order flow functionality you'd need, and supports over 30+ brokers and data service providers.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

#16     Aug 13, 2019
    tommo likes this.
  7. robbo

robbo

Hi Tommo, Its 7 months ago since you posted about the Footprint Charts. I am interested if they give you any edge with your trading. Any other traders use them I would like to hear there feeback on them.

#17     Mar 19, 2020
  8. tommo

tommo

Hi Robbo,

To be honest I never really explored them, I stayed focused on the things I have had working for me anyway. But I think there is something in them worth exploring.
    Tom

#18     Mar 19, 2020
    robbo likes this.
  9. MichalTr

MichalTr

Nothing will give you "edge". Those are just tools and "edge" is your abiliity to use tools. You can make money using anything - technical tools, fundamental tools, quantitative tools or just buy/sell button. I'm sure there is even 1 person in world that make money using moon cyckles (ok that's not very probable but you know)... And you can also make no money at all having all the tools in the world. It's not about tools, it's about how you use it.

But to give some answer directly for your question - I found fooptrint to looks nice, even the theory behind it souds nice but for me (and that part is important - "for me") it's not useful. It's nice to know where is some absorbtion, or where is imbalance, or where there is posibillity that some traders are trapped. But what you don't know is - what is the intention of this market buing or selling. Is this group of traders just making intraday trades ? Maybe this is some institution that just need to execute large order ? Or maybe it's part of spread (very likely) ? And what about absorbtion ? Is someone getiing into position and want to hide it before you ? Or maybe someone wanted to go out without moving the market ? And manyyy other questions. Like I said - just a tool. If you build some framework around it, and it's part of your decision process - that's good for you. I have one idea where that tool can be effective, but I didn't test it yet. And sorry, but I wont write that one.

Of course I'm sure you will find someone who is using it and make some money (maybe), but it's not the chart type that gives him edge.

#19     Mar 19, 2020
  10. qlai

qlai

How about NOFT? They have a whole educational program around these concepts.

#20     Mar 19, 2020