Fooled by Randomness

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by oddiduro, Jul 17, 2005.

1. mhashe

mhashe

imo the random/chaotic nature of the market can be plotted like a bell curve. At either ends you have periods of high price predictibility with a vast mass of price randomness in the middle.

eg, if you watch the price ladder, at key price areas and times you will see increased agitation inside of a price boundary. Here I assume we are at the edge of chaos about to break into a brief period of order. ie the collective insanity/chaos of millions of participants is about to lead to a brief period of sanity/predictibilty. The agitation is more intense at the floor pivot, and prior days Lo and Hi. Just my 0.02, wondering what others think about this behavior.

#11     Jul 17, 2005
  2. imho the quants are partly responsible for the lack of volatility..... they take profits so quickly they kill many moves.

#12     Jul 17, 2005
  3. You are right. Younger traders just are not familiar with the low volatility markets of '94-'95. This is nothing new.

#13     Jul 17, 2005
  4. KevinK

KevinK Guest

Is it time to INVEST:eek:

just kidding:D

although some of my money is invested

#14     Jul 17, 2005
  5. Correct. This might be yet another case of "Fooled by Randomness". One must be very careful in reaching such conclusions - especially when causality and correlation are at question. Just my $0.02

BTW, another point that Taleb "hammers home" is that of survivorship bias - especially with regards to the performance of funds and managers, etc...

#15     Jul 17, 2005
  6. "Analysis of hedge fund data is complicated by three factors. The first is that not all databases retain historical data about funds that have been liquidated or have stopped reporting for other reasons3. This is important since the incidence of death among hedge funds is much higher than for traditional mutual funds. To the extent that hedge fund death is due to poor performance, the average return for hedge funds, conditioned by their survival to the end of the period of study, will have a positive survivorship bias. Brown & Goetzmann (1995) have also shown that survivorship is also likely to impact higher moments of the
    distribution of returns and degree of serial correlation."

#16     Jul 18, 2005
  7. nitro

nitro

It is a very good book for the layman. Well worth the read for most on ET imo.

nitro

#17     Jul 18, 2005
  8. Personally, I think it is a very good book without any qualifiers. It is an excellent book, period.

P.S. Isn't a layman someone that a lawyer just screwed?
    :D

#18     Jul 18, 2005
  9. sometimes i wonder if any of you guys really trade.... the quants along with the one cent increments have greatly reduced volatility... how can anyone not see this???????????????

#19     Jul 18, 2005
  10. Ahh, assumptions assumptions...

So by your logic only quants are making cubic cashola, and everyone else is soon to become a Starvin' Marvin. No?

Granted, this ain't the "lets throw darts at the quotes pages of the WSJ and we'll make serious money" days of yesteryear, but there is plenty of money to be made.

It is called evolution... Nothing (well, not much anyway) is static, so what, you expect the markets to be?!

Stop focusing on the negatives, and start figuring out ways that you can shag the shagees! Seriously.

rESpekT!

#20     Jul 18, 2005