Food stamps

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Vinny1, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Sushi

Sushi

Most here are at or below poverty level. It's who is attracted to get rich quick themes. Just read this thread. They all know about living homeless feeding cheap.

#41     Apr 15, 2009
  2. Sushi

Sushi

Mentally Ill only. Dog food not cheap and the homeless I see all hve dogs cats so how do you know they eat it?

#42     Apr 15, 2009
  3. hughb

hughb

One of my favorite bars is a dive bar on the wrong side of the tracks in downtown San Diego. If you can get past the sight of crawling insects and the odor of urine, downtown dive bars are a great place to meet interesting fringe characters. Many of the regulars there receive government assistance, and there are many different types of it in addition to welfare or food stamps. Ex-military people are eligible for special benefits, and I know of one person there who is trying to get as many of them as he can, but it's difficult because there is a screening process and an indifferent case worker can dismiss you at his whim. The different types of aid I've heard talked about are SSI, (not entirely sure what this is, but I think it has something to do with disability), then there are disablity payments, section 8 to help with rent, food stamps, welfare payments, (pretty much impossible for a single male to get). Some of the ex-military guys are trying to get additional benefits base on PTSD but they are bitching about how hard it is to get.

BTW, as you've seen in this thread, people bitch about other people who are on the government dole. So did you ever wonder what people on the government dole bitch about? They bitch about each other. They believe that someone else is getting payments they don't deserve by scamming the system. Recently I overheard one applicant complaining that he knows a half dozen people who are getting $1000 a month in benefits and they don't even need it, implying that he does indeed need it and is having too much difficulty getting it.

For you guys who are enraged that your tax dollars are going to support "bums", get over it. Living on the government dole is it's own punishment. These people have nothing. They're underweight from malnutrition, they wear ill-fitting clothes bought at thrift stores and they live in rodent infested flop houses.

Just an aside - some of you may remember the Robert Blake murder trial a few years back. The victim's brother was a regular at the bar I mentined, in fact the bartender there used to help him fill out his paperwork for keeping his benefits up to date because he was illiterate. He always claimed he had the evidence to "prove" Blake's guilt and he used to bring envelopes stuffed full of it to the bartender. The bartender kept all of it, but never looked at it. He showed me the pile of envelopes at his house, but we never looked at what was inside. I wondered what it was, but knowing the guy it was probably full of comic books. Who knows?

#43     Apr 15, 2009
  4. Mnphats

Mnphats

Opened the can and ate it right in the store to prove they should be able to use food stamps to purchase dog food. I would hope this is no longer the case, as I said it was quite some time ago.

#44     Apr 15, 2009
  5. GTG

GTG

When you apply for food stamp benefits, the government calculates how much they think you should be able to afford to spend on food based on your income, and then they give you food-stamps to make up the difference between how much money they think you can afford to spend on food and how much money they think you need to spend on food.

Since most, food stamp recipients have some income that can be spent on food, they don't recieve enough food-stamps for the entire amount of food they need to buy. They are expected to spend some of their own money buying food.

Therefore, the average of 112 a month isn't intended to be enough to buy 100% of the food that is needed, since the average recipient can afford to buy some of their own food themselves.

#45     Apr 15, 2009
  6. Mvic

Mvic

We would take food stamps at the food bank I volunteered at. It was 10c a pound with a limit of 20lbs/person/week. You can get a lot of staple food for that $2!

#46     Apr 15, 2009
  7. hughb

hughb

He gets 1900 in unemployment and 393 in food stamps for a total of 2293 a month.

If he had a forklift certificate and got a job in a warehouse at $10 an hour, 40 hours a week, he would earn $1920 a month. And if he worked a second part time job a McDonalds 20 hours a week it would bring in an additional 640 a month for a total of 2560. Under this plan he would only get an additional 300 buck a month and he wouldn't even have time to look for a new job. He's actually better of with his unemployment and government assistance then he would be out working menial jobs.

#47     Apr 18, 2009
  8. Ah, do not forget we are dealing with an extremist radical American/Israeli society here. The kids are brainwashed with constant violence on the news, TV, and movies. They hold a particulary radical set of beliefs of superiority and 'chosen-ness'.

Of course they make war against those perceived to be lesser and 'sinners'! America hates freedom and occupies and tortures at will.

The churches and ministers teach hate, isolationism, 'us vs/ them' and division and whip up the frenzy of war and fear.

Radical Americanism led by the rabid Israli-firsters who occupy most top spots in the government is the biggest threat to freedom today

#48     Apr 18, 2009
  9. Here is in example of how to eat cheaply and healthy:

This week at a Toronto supermaket chain named Loblaws (it's not a discount chain) I bought the following:

(all prices in $CAD)

- a large cantaloupe melon for $2.99
    - two large containers of fresh strawberries for $5 total
    - two large english cucumbers for $2 total
    - a med. bunch of bananas for $2.

This is enough fruit and veg. to last one person for a week.

Grand total was $12 $CAD, or about $10 USD.

Who says you have to rich in order to eat healthily?

You could spend 4 hrs begging and take in $10.

Instead of buying 2 packs of soda, or 2 packs of smokes, or 12 beer of something, buy good food for cheap. $10!! I have no sympathy for obese and lazy americans.

#49     Apr 18, 2009
  10. veg calories
    cantelope 300
    strawberries 320
    cukes 60
    bananas 500

for a week.

They ate better at treblinka.

#50     Apr 18, 2009