Food stamps

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Vinny1, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Why is this crap taking up valuable space on a board that many people use for valuable information.

#11     Apr 2, 2009
  2. I once came home and found my son (he was about 3 at the time) eating the cat food. I asked him what the hell he was doing and he said "well the cats eat it all the time, so they must like it. I wanted to know how it tastes". I asked him.."well uhmm..how does it taste?" and he said "well, I wouldnt eat it every day..but it's ok."
    --------------------------------------------------
    :D :D :D

#12     Apr 2, 2009
  3. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

well first of all space on a message board really has no value, anyone can create it...but the reason this particular discussion is happening would be because not everyone thinks value is the same thing, and thank god for that or we wouldnt have a market huh?

#13     Apr 2, 2009
  4. spaghetti pasta noodles and spaghetti sauce, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches on cheap white bread, top ramen, chunk light tuna fish, cans of pork and beans. Maybe an apple, bannana, orange.
    Lots of cheap filler carbs.

#14     Apr 2, 2009
  5. pismo10

pismo10

That is the result of liberal welfare, poverty and bare minimum subsistence living for all.

#15     Apr 2, 2009
  6. Surdo

Surdo

I spent $8 to eat that crap, it's not cheap.

#16     Apr 2, 2009
  7. mtwokay

mtwokay

lol, well several years ago when my children were in their early teens I could feed a family for 4 for $8.00 w/o drinks. Since we lived close to one we always ate at home.

Although my comment was based on dated experience, the wife and I used to joke around about how one could live off taco bell for a couple of bucks per day.

#17     Apr 2, 2009
  8. Maybe that's a result of throwing 44.4% of the USA Budget for the military war machine:

http://theburningplatform.com/economy/war-pigs---cost-of-a-global-empire-1

#18     Apr 3, 2009
  9. TGregg

TGregg

Anybody that put themselves through college will tell you that yes you can feed yourself on almost 4 bucks a day. Ramon noodles (AKA "Ram It Down") are particularly affordable, currently priced at about 8 or 9 cents a serving.

I used to get a 24" sub on weekends, and that was my food for two days.

Many places in college towns have happy hour apps. Buy a beer, and get dinner for free. Sometimes a business will have free hotdogs, chips and soda.

But the real secret is coupons and triple coupon sales at grocery stores. They triple the value of your coupon. You can get some things for free. Before the stores got wise to how to do triples, you could actually get some items discounted to below free - get paid to haul them away.

You're not going to be drinking Marker's Mark while smoking Monte Cristos after a nice fillet and lobster dinner, but you can eat reasonably well on $4.

#19     Apr 3, 2009
  10. Besides the $4/day for food that you get, what about other things that you need, like toilet paper, cleaning products, laundry detergent, diapers, wipes, toiletries, razor blades, etc. A package of 8 Gillette sensor razors go for like $20. I assume that you can't buy non-food items with food stamps?

All I have to say is I don't know how people on welfare and food stamps do it. It really sucks to be poor. Who says money can't buy happiness. I know it can.

#20     Apr 3, 2009