Food stamp registration / Supplemental Nutrition Assistance in the USA

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by ASusilovic, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Potatoe politics.

----------------

USDA interim rules for the WIC program allow recipients -- usually low-income pregnant women and mothers with young children -- to use vouchers to buy "any variety of fresh whole or cut vegetable, except white potatoes."

Orange yams and sweet potatoes are permitted.

The National Institute of Medicine in Washington, D.C., recommended the exclusion of white potatoes in April 2005 to USDA for those using WIC vouchers, institute spokesperson Christine Stencel told Reuters.

"Americans consume white potatoes in ample quantities," Stencel said. "The issue is more about improving the diversity and range of vegetables."

The USDA's Food and Nutritional Service, which administers the WIC program, plans to issue a final decision on the potato-ban rule next year.

#11     Dec 12, 2010
  2. the1

the1

This is how the program should be structured. You can buy fresh produce, bread, lunchmeat, and other healthy items. Potato chips and Doritos don't make the list. Neither does Diet Coke or 7-up. Orange Juice would be ok, even though it's very high in sugar. And I agree with the other poster that anyone who is on this program should be forced to work some sort of community service job like working in a nursing home moping floors or a hospital, or even picking up trash on the side of the highway. Nothing should be free is you're physically able to work.

#12     Dec 12, 2010
  3. Man,
    u don't have to hide yo cash.
    I think the rules are only restricting one's INCOME, but not ASSESTS, as eligibility for FS.
    So technically a billionaire with all his assests in cash or other non-performing assests is eligible.
    I live in a rather posh hood and sometimes see very respectably looking ppls using a funny looking card.

The morale: the gov should not get into anything, including charitiy.
    One day it'll happen, I hope. I also hope not to see that day.

#13     Dec 12, 2010
  4. For someone who is a millionaire, it won't make much sense to put all of your money into non-performing assets just to get food stamps, because you are then giving up tens of thousands of dollars per year in interest, just to get a few thousand dollars in food stamps.

Also, according to this site, it looks like they do look at both your income and assets...

http://foodstamp-assistance.com/state_list

#14     Dec 12, 2010
  5. If states look applicants' income and assets both, then how come there is fraud going on?

How is it possible for someone to hide assets? Income can be hidden by working under the table but that is not smart since you are losing contribution to social security system.

So how is this possible?

#15     Dec 13, 2010
  6. Well, the obvious way it to park your assets in corporate entities.
    As for yo soc sec payments, if u believe that forgoing them is a huge mistake, i say good luck.
    The soc sec systme is a gigantic ponzi scheme, but unlike Madoff, nobody will get jailed. Personally i don't expect to ever get paid.

#16     Dec 13, 2010
  7. what do you mean park your assets in corporate entities?

Your social security number name and address will be all over the place.

I am not sure what you are referring to.

#17     Dec 14, 2010
  8. olias

olias

It always bugs me when I see a chart like that. It's an intentionally misleading visual because the Y axis doesn't start at '0'. It's still a telling chart, but the whole thing loses credibility when they do crap like that.

#18     Dec 14, 2010
  9. Can someone elaborate on how to hide your assets and/or income?

How is this possible in this digital world?

#19     Dec 14, 2010
  10. Anybody want to chip in?

#20     Dec 15, 2010