Food Stamp Nation: USA

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Grandluxe, Aug 25, 2011.

1. USA becomes Food Stamp Nation but is it sustainable?

(Reuters) -
    Saucedo, who earns $9.70 an hour for about 26 hours a week and lives with her mother, is one of the many Americans who survive because of government handouts in what has rapidly become a food stamp nation.

Altogether, there are now almost 46 million people in the United States on food stamps, roughly 15 percent of the population. That's an increase of 74 percent since 2007, just before the financial crisis and a deep recession led to mass job losses.

While there are clearly some cases of abuse by people who claim food stamps but don't really need them, for many Americans like Saucedo there is little current alternative if they are to put food on the table while paying rent and utility bills.

"It's kind of sad that even though I'm working that I need to have government assistance. I have asked them to please put me on full-time so I can have benefits," said the 32-year-old.

So are her customers. Bill Simon, head of Wal-Mart's U.S. operations, told a conference call last Tuesday that the company had seen an increase in the number of shoppers relying on government assistance for food.

In some parts of the country, shoppers using food stamps have almost become the norm.

In May 2011, a third of all people in Alabama were on food stamps.

Washington D.C., Mississippi, New Mexico, Oregon and Tennessee all had about a fifth of their population on food stamps that month.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/22/us-usa-poverty-foodstamps-idUSTRE77L45Z20110822

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

how can a CUNTry continue on this path? Please China, save us.

2. WS_MJH

WS_MJH

Democrats ultimate goal: Punish those who are productive and self-sufficient, reward those who become wards of the state, so that they'll always vote Democrats into power. Democrats could care less about this country. They are the party who back stabbed troops on the ground to win Senate seats/Presidential election, along with bankrupting us by creating entitlement after entitlement. The only thing Democrats care about is power and winning elections at all costs.

Best line for this thread: "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

3. As much as I dislike the democrats, the republicans are at fault too. That Saucedo lady is right when she says she works full time but can't afford the basics. That's because her purchasing power is stealthily being taxed by inflation. Republicans didn't do anything to slow the decline of the dollar.

You give both parties another 4-8 years and we will all be like Saucedo.

4. morganist

morganist Guest

The majority of the problems are caused by the high cost of rent and housing. If that was resolved it would solve lots of problems.

Things are only really getting harder because power of wages is staying stagnent but rents is still high.

5. im sorry Im not on the dole.

6. Food stamps deserve to be handed out to some pensioners who really don't have enough money to make ends meet... but young people using them? Hell, in this case give them to me, I'll find a useful way to spend 'em :)

7. MKTrader

MKTrader

The guy standing next to you in the checkout line, who works hard and barely scrapes in $40K/year, will be envious of what you can buy on the dole.

From what I hear from a reliable source, lots of illegals in my area get over $600/month to feed their growing families. Lovely.

If they have to give out so many food stamps, they should enact the perimeter rule: with the exception of baby food, you can only buy items on the perimeter of the grocery store: produce, meat, fish, dairy, etc. No chips or other boxed/frozen processed crap that usually fill the carts of FS customers, who are usually obese. That would help reduce our health care cost in the long-run, too.

8. Stok

Stok

+1

Been saying this for years, and the Country and even the Democrat's themselves who vote under the fraud/scam they think is legit need to wake up. It will go down as one of the biggest scams/fraud's ever and by the time everyone understands it, the Country is already lost and done. This has been the master plan since FDR and the "New Society". Dem's want power and that is all and they sell their voter's a bag of goods which is actually a bag of shit sandwiches. All lies, class warfare, destruction of our Constitution...whatever it takes to get that extra vote.

9. dectrade

dectrade

Get manufacturing back to USA!

When 90% of household stuff are made overseas, what do you expect?

10. I would estimate the number of food stamp collectors to increase gradually every month going fwd to infinity.

Starting early 2007 the number keeps breaking records every month anyway.

Every month. Can you believe this?

This is not sustainable.

#10     Aug 25, 2011