food riots by 2012?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by dumb_mother, Nov 14, 2008.

1. I do like the Jim Rogers interview the most. I think he puts it all a bit more into perspective. He basically says, "I dont know what's going to happen, but I'll be prepared for anything", meaning he's prepared for a recovery AND prepared for a REAL economic meltdown. And I do think that's key here. Nobody knows for sure what's going to happen. Things don't look good though.

My strategy (and I'm still scaling in) -> Long (physical) gold (for the 'end of world scenario)'. Also just bought China (FXI), oil (OIL) and Russia (RSX), as part of the 'this is the bottom' scenario. Still small though. I'm currently thinking of buying some land indeed (to add to the 'end of world scenario') and I'll also be adding some to the above funds+planning to buy some inflation corrected France bonds + some europe and other Asian countries funds. I'm not particulary in a hurry to do the last though. All this is part of a 'long term' investment strategy of course.

#31     Nov 15, 2008
  2. jprad

jprad

Celente?

Never heard of him. Odd that's case, with his supposedly great track record. Funny how Nostradamus isn't being mentioned lately...

As for Armageddon, the Apocalypse, whatever. People have been yapping about it coming for centuries. Eventually, they'll be right. But, we really don't know when that will be or if it will be due to mankind, natural events, or the Hand of God.

Honestly though, who really gives a fuck?

Gold, Silver? Yeah, that's gonna be worth something if it all goes tits-up.

When you get right down to it people need three things; food, shelter and the ability to defend both of them.

So, you're gonna buy a farm in the middle of nowhere? And a couple of guns to protect yourself. Great, when it comes to fending off a destitute family.

Big Fucking Deal. What are you going to do when someone rolls a tank onto your farm?

There's always someone out there who's better armed then you are.

Yeah, eventually, once the population has collapsed, an agrarian based society will collect and form.

It's getting to that point that is going to suck something awful. It's not going to happen overnight. If you're over 30 and you manage to dodge bullets and live through the decade or two that it will take to cull this herd you're going to end up dying from some awful disease due to lack of advanced medical care.

Face it, we're no different than animals that were bred in captivity -- the majority of us won't survive in the wild.

#32     Nov 15, 2008

3. http://www.google.com/search?hl=nl&rlz=1I7GPEA_nl&q="gerald+celente"&meta=

Argentina went bankrupt in 2002. It was not anything like you just described. So even if the most extreme 'doom & gloom' scenario is going to play out, I don't think it will be anywhere near what you just described.

However, in Argentina standards of living DID go down big time ...

#33     Nov 15, 2008
  4. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

As long as the rest of the world is fine with it...but what happens when they are not?

#34     Nov 15, 2008
  5. Once the first supply shock is repeated, you can count me in on the end of civilization. I'll be joining you on the kibbutz, and happily so.

Something tells me that isolating myself on some small carribean island might not be such a hot idea as the living standard falls pre WW-II. Oral histories from those who were there during those times related a cessation of shipping activity. Times were fine and they were left alone, but it wasn't like you could get anything (not easily mind you, more like couldn't get ANYTHING as the shipping lanes were empty) from the mainland. You would be pretty much stuck there until everything was over. OTOH, might not be the worst thing in the world, a 10 year vacation.

Overall, I'm less convinced about WTSHTF and THEOE (the end of everything). We don't need to have wars to reduce our population. We stopped having children and will have accomplished that in another 60 years or so.

#35     Nov 15, 2008
  6. jprad

jprad

Thanks, but I already know how to find information on the 'Net.

If this guy has such hyper-accurate predictive abilities why is he not a household name already?

Uh, that was my point, to show just how irrational this uber-doomsday talk is.

As bad as it got in Argentina it was just as much the fault of a weak government with poorly implemented support systems.

If things get really bad here martial law is all but certain.

To deteriorate beyond that would mean a complete collapse of the military's chain of command and leakage of a good bit of the military's medium to heavy armament before it becomes Mad Max time.

#36     Nov 15, 2008
  7. clacy

clacy

Exactly. The only way we deteriorate to the "mad max" scenario that many on this board are certain is around the corner is if nukes go off.............and a lot of them.

It is likely that we will see some major political and monetary shift in our lifetimes, but barring any nuclear wars, if you pay off your house, hold no other debt, you'll likely be just fine.

#37     Nov 15, 2008
  8. jprad

jprad

Agree, but if nukes enter the picture I'd much rather be at ground zero. I can't think of a more agonizing, miserable way to die than radiation sickness.

Absolutely.

#38     Nov 15, 2008
  9. achilles28

achilles28

Thats what Cheney/Bush warned us about for the past 8 years.

As will Barky when he takes office.

Notice, the Border was left wide open all along.

Thats your smoking gun. Time to wake up.

You're gonna get your nuke-bio attack.

#39     Nov 15, 2008
  10. 377OHMS

377OHMS

What would a nuke-bio attack in, say, Chicago do to the rest of the country/world, induce a depression?

#40     Nov 15, 2008