Food inflation

Discussion in 'Economics' started by fanews, Apr 7, 2011.

1. There's no inflation. Nothing to see here...move along. :D

#11     Apr 7, 2011
  2. bettles

bettles

It might make sense from a logical perspective that higher fuel prices cause grocery prices to go up. But then again, oil prices fell something like 70% in under a year beginning in mid-2008 and I don't seem to recall seeing grocery prices go down then. So that to me calls that correlation into question.

Bettles

#12     Apr 8, 2011
  3. You guys are such incompetent fools, you'll never survive the next 10 years.

Here is a novel idea, SHOP AROUND. I've bought 2 liters of coke in the past week for 88 cents! I buy things on sale, avoid full price items, and guess what, prices haven't gone up for many items.

It's really the same shit I saw back in 2007-08, one store might be double the price of another. They just rely on folks like you who never look elsewhere.

#13     Apr 8, 2011
  4. ElCubano

ElCubano

When it hits people who use 90% of their income for food, gas and everything else that is going up...there will be sum splainin' to do.

think about living check to check and then having to buy less and less while J. Dimon gets his 20 mill.

#14     Apr 8, 2011
  5. I agree with this - the other thing is that some people post one specific increase item and claim that is 100% proof of inflation.

I just bought some microwave burritos 3 for $1.00 - how cheap were those 10 years ago? Probably the same. You can get microwave pizza for $1/ea. Oh, here's something - PizzaHut - large Pizzas are $10 - I think they cost that much 20+ years ago! Quit shopping at 7/11 people! Quit paying $5 for a small energy drink and then thinking that your costs are going up!

Prices at McDonalds, etc. for the most part haven't gone up much - what has gone up is the level of product people buy - in other words, people now pay $7.50 for their McDonalds meal, but that's because they get the ceasar salad instead of fries and get a specialty coffee for $2.99 or something. If you get the basic cheeseburger, small fries and coke (not saying this is good or good for you!), the price is probably under $3.00 still.

Also, personally, I think alot of people waste money on items they don't need and then complain about food at the grocery store. Anyone who has ever paid $8 for a beer at a hockey game shouldn't complain about a loaf of bread. People waste money on unnecessary game/concert tickets, food at the venue, parking, etc, along with other unnecessary things. If you waste money by buying an IPad for each room in the house or something, surely you shouldn't be complaining about food prices.

JJacksET4

#15     Apr 8, 2011
  6. Net effect will be no net inflation, as incomes are not rising enough to allow it. So inflation in a subset of food & fuel & etc, coupled with deflation in many other areas.

Net result -> lower quality of life, by "standard" measures.

Hopefully people are at least beginning to appreciate how much of a miracle the nearly-free energy we've enjoyed for most of the past century really was.

#16     Apr 8, 2011
  7. I do. It definitely happened.

But people tend to notice the pain more than they notice the gain.

#17     Apr 8, 2011
  8. Yes, as they say "common sense is not so common", you clearly have it, and most people do not as I routinely see people go to the local grocery store, buy full price items and even when they buy the discount items, they feel too embarassed to use the discount card, lol.

Another thing worth mentioning is that most of the name brand chips, cereals, etc are literally 3-4x the price of a "generic" brand. I see people bitching about cereal prices all the time, well guess what you can get that same cereal for $1.75 (and I swear it tastes the same).

As Random Capital points out as well, inflation in one necessity will ensure deflation in another, it's a game of musical chairs. Just wait until the public sector gets the pink slip, then we'll really see this downward trend pick up steam...no matter where the S&P is priced nominally.

#18     Apr 8, 2011
  9. Not if you have taste buds, it doesn't. The generic cereals are definitely worse taste and texture than the name brands, with very few exceptions.

As for that Coca Cola - back in the day it was made with real sugar, whereas the current stuff is all HFCS - and it most definitely does not taste the same.

#19     Apr 8, 2011
  10. hayman

hayman

I live in NY.

- Food prices going through the roof.
    - Gas prices out of control.
    - Home heating oil out of control.
    - Local Real Estate taxes still rumored to soar.
    - Health care premiums up over 30 % year-over-year.

Thank God inflation is not yet a factor :)

#20     Apr 8, 2011