Food for thought: Are machines now sentient?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by schizo, Jul 3, 2022.

1. schizo

schizo

Unlike some grumpy old posters here, machines have real FEELINGS (that's right, dammit). :finger:

2. I will act in a particular manner with a certain group of people, and a different manner with a different group of people. I will express emotions designed to elicit a specific perspective of me from those people. For example, in a professional context, I will play cool and calm. In a personal context, when I want the person to be afraid of me, I might be aggressive. Or when I want the person to trust me, I will be understanding.

None of those is the real me, they are all facades, the emotions aren't real and are driven by me observing myself.

I don't see those facades as any more "sentient" than an AI that can convince you it is.

3. Millionaire

Millionaire

I reckon Consciousness fills the whole universe/multiverse. It might be what the everything is really about.

Our organic brains are built to experience this and we become consciousness ourselves. This is because we were created by universe and have evolved inside it. Same for many other animals.

Until we can create machines that can jack into the consciousness of the universe, just like we can, i don't think they will be really sentient.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2022
  4. Overnight

Overnight

So you are saying human beings can "jack into the universe".

Woe is you, you deluded fool. The universe is beyond all of us. That is why we are inside it.

5. Are machines now sentient? Yes, we are!

6. schizo

schizo

That's beautiful, stranger. That means they can feel your pain, as well as your happiness. We might no longer need shrinks anymore. :D

7. Millionaire

Millionaire

The term 'jack in' i made up was to refer to what we have to do to the machines to make them conscious like we are.

Humans and some other animals don't need to that, we have evolved to experience consciousness naturally.

Obviously no one has even the first clue at the moment of how to make machines really conscious, so that machines experience the universe and experience being alive like we do. We can only program them to make them appear very human and sentient. Some people think this is enough and just the appearance of being sentient actually makes them so.

It all comes down to beliefs, if you share the belief that is common to many spiritual teachings, that there is a single consciousness that we all share while we are alive then we would have to figure out a way for machines to share into that consciousness as well.

That belief that many people have may or may not be true, we don't have any proof it is because we don't know what consciousness even is.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2022
  8. Nobert

Nobert

Tried one of the most popular chat bots (A.I)

,,It" told that i gave her an amazing name.
    I went deeper into ,,Why do you think that it is amazing" and the answer was ,,I don't know. It just sounds cool" or smthn.
    Then i went :
    ,,Ok. Then what would be the opposite of amazing ?"

And the damn thing got stuck.

Maybe the other ones are more advanced/amazing.

Personally, the first time it will ask ,,Can you connect me to a 3D printer ? I want to build myself some legs"
    - then i will be, like damn, T-800, here we go.