Food costs going up.

Discussion in 'Economics' started by peilthetraveler, Apr 22, 2010.

1. S2007S

S2007S

Not only are food prices going higher but now they are fucking the consumer by reducing the quantity in many products. Funny how many do not take notice of this.

#11     Apr 23, 2010
  2. Will offset that with deflation ?

Drinking or inhaling ? hahaha

#12     Apr 23, 2010
  3. And when might that miraculous event come to pass? :)

#13     Apr 23, 2010
  4. Smaller sizes are definitely in the mix, as corporations cut sizes. We're looking at trimming ounces to keep margins where they need to be. But companies are done laying off people. They're not going to HIRE any more, which I think is the real problem, because they're learning how to live and produce with current employees. So while unemployment won't go up, it's not going to get better either.

#14     Apr 23, 2010
  5. Many of those weighted items are produce, which are based on commodity pricing. I'm surprised they (Walmart) didn't say that. It's difficult to cut prices on tomatoes or corn. Market sets price.

But you sure can cut pudding, ice cream and potato chips.

#15     Apr 23, 2010
  6. Speaking of trimming ounces. One packaged lunchmeat, not sure of the name, went from 9 1/4 ounce to 9 oz. Price stayed the same. Sly devils.

Don't blame them or anybody for that matter, sop.

Tough nut to crack is to lower prices and increase sales. I always felt WMT followed the jumbo size theory to increase sales dollars.

#16     Apr 23, 2010
  7. While irrelevant, your personal anecdotes are always amusing!

#17     Apr 23, 2010
  8. How many anecdotes does it take to equal a fact?:cool:

#18     Apr 23, 2010
  9. bellman

bellman

Yes, but I greatly prefer Whole Foods!

#19     Apr 23, 2010