Food Allergies....not a joke

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by El OchoCinco, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Tom B and Frederick Foresight like this.
  2. Well, that's nasty. I hope they will treat customers right. Because allergy is not a joke. It kills people.

3. omg it's insane. I mean as a person with allergies I feel like it's insane

4. maxinger

maxinger

Whatever it is, thousands of people has died from covid. And how many has died from food allergy?

5. It's terrible that this happens because they put people in danger. My friend has a serious nut allergy and if he eats a small portion of nuts he may have anaphylactic shock. So, I don't have a serious allergy that could put me in a hospital bed. But this question is still familiar to me. My friend works in a lab in London intolerancelab.co.uk and when I was visiting him he forced me to take a food intolerance test because I was feeling ill. When I received the test results, I was very surprised. It turned out that I was allergic to lactose. Usually people know this from childhood, and I found out about it just now. Therefore I avoid all foods that may contain lactose. I am glad that I took this test, because I wouldn't know the reason for my poor health. And another bonus is that I can prevent this by eliminating foods containing lactose from my diet.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
  6. Many people suffer from incurable diseases from synthetic food. No one will tell us these statistics.
    I agree, unfortunately Covid took a lot of lives. Take care of yourself.

7. cesfx

cesfx

In the UK business owners have been arrested for accidents caused by non displayed allergens. It caused death.
    Well... indipendent take away owners got arrested. Pret a manger got a warning when a young girl got killed on a plane by non displayed sesami seeds I side the baguette. And another chain got another warning when a teenager got killed by the dairy in the bread of a cheeseburger.

I have a business in the food industry and I dealt with allergy info and staff training for many years.
    I have to admit is a lot more difficult now.
    First, if you are at risk of life, you can NOT trust ANY food preparation areas. Nowhere is safe if the ingredients that can kill you are in the room. Shit happens and anything can fly over or inside somewhere where it shouldn't be. If your server is well trained, they will probably admit to that, when the customer is at high risk and ask for what's safe. Nothing prepared in a cafe or restaurant is safe if you are at risk of anaphylactic shock, I am sorry.

Then you have... Intollerances, trendy fashion crap, dietary and ideological reasons.
    With all respect to any need, the huge demand cause a confusion. At the end of the day... Your servers are not doctors.
    You have a huge demand for alternative milk, unbelievable demand compared to a few years ago.
    People go in shop and restaurant and claim to have mom scientific issues, just to make a point and try to get the best attention. They have a mild intollerance, or just believe a YouTube video saying that gluten is bad for you, and they all it an allergy.
    Ignorant servers get confused and tend to diminish the problem, when everyone has one.
    So you get lots ignorants dealing with other ignorants... And the high risk individual pay the price.
    Used to be different a few years ago. Cases where rare and your server used to inform the chef, manager or supervisors when that's the case.
    20 years ago all restaurant would know that there is a nut allergic having dinner.
    Today, every table claim an issue or a dietary need.
    Vegans asking if their food is grilled in the same grill or if touches the same chopping board are extreme on a religious level.
    I love vegan concept and understand lots of need. But even as business owner I believe some people with need should learn how to cook and eat at home. And if you kids have serious allergies, send them off with packed lunches instead of letting them buy take away for themselves.