Following or Predicting

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by Miragers, Oct 6, 2006.

1. MaxLD

MaxLD

The big institutions hire droves of technical analysts in the hopes that managed funds will beat the returns of the "lowly" index funds. They (the managed funds) only rarely accomplish that goal. So ah, how come is that? Could it be that technical analysis has NO predictive value whatsoever?

#31     Oct 29, 2006
  2. Following or Predicting?

Neither! :D

It's Timing that matters - Only the correct ones for both entry and exit will make profits.

#32     Oct 29, 2006
  3. "I have seen people come up with some crazy ideas and call them TA. LIke saying everytime there are 4 neg bars the 5th should be positive and crazy stuff like that which I dont even think you can call TA."

any study of price qua price (and price repeated = volume) is TA.

it may be dumb ta, or good ta, or whatever, but if you are studying price, price movements, etc. you are using TA.

#33     Oct 29, 2006
  4. Timing of what?

#34     Oct 29, 2006
  5. #35     Oct 29, 2006
  6. Predicting will lead to nothing but pain for most. If you think you can predict the markets, how come your net worth isn't $50B w/ 100% winning trades?

You'll be far more profitable, and a lot less stressed, when you realize you can't predict chaos and the best plan of attack is simply to build a system that's to your risk tolerances, that you can trade, that can act and re-act to market conditions.

Learning that is, imho, the thing that made the most impact in my career

<~ not impressed. I've worked with and built NNs before. 9/10 times they're outperformed by the simpler methodologies and the time spent in development and training really just doesn't pay out.

That being said, i've seen them applied in a variety of fields, and most of the time it'st he same thing - companies spends a shit load of $$$ to try and get it work, 2yrs later they end up abandoning it.

Come tot hink of it, I don't think I've ever really seen a super-sucesseful* application of NNs *shrug*

*for clarification, by super-sucessful I simply mean that it blows the standard methodology out of the water.

#36     Oct 29, 2006
  7. #37     Oct 29, 2006
  8. #38     Oct 29, 2006
  9. following for me... I'm just no good at predicting.

#39     Oct 29, 2006
  10. Three years after that page was created and I'm still doing the research. What have you ever done, other than aggravate the masses, that has lasted that long?

By the way if you think 92% is perfect then it explains a lot of the misinformation you put out.

#40     Oct 29, 2006