Follow up on software review

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by flies, Feb 15, 2006.

1. flies

flies

A couple of months ago I posted a thread to find out whether Softinvestor - http://www.softinvestor.com - was worth a closer look. Unfortunately no one had tried it, so I decided to give it a try myself.

First of all Softinvestor is not sudded for intraday trading, but is very interesting in terms of swing trading. The software uses end of the day stock data from Yahoo, and is therefore a little slow - for example when updating all quotes in an index - but okay when just updating once og twice a day.

What I find most useful (especially for swing-trading) is what they call OptiEngine - a backtesting function that interprets historical data in order to find the best performing technical indicators and it's optimal parameters (periods). Another plus is that it contains some rather unusual models as Elder's Force Index and OBV. All in all I find that Softinvestor is worth the $59 I spent.

Sorry I can't put this in the software reviews, but I'm currently not allowed.

Ratings summary (score 1-5):

Reliability: 4
    Ease of Use: 4
    Performance: 4
    Documentation: 3
    Worth the Money: 4

2. flies

flies

Hi Sandman

It has a built-in stock editor that allows you to construct your own lists, and because the program supports all instruments (stocks, indices, mutual fund etc.) on Yahoo that have historical data, the answer is yes. :)

You can actually try it by downloading the demo - it gives you the ability to try it on the major indices on historical data. I had to license my copy ($59 for 6 months) to get recent quotes and to unlock the stock-part.

flies