Follow the Smart Money / COT Analysis

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Dunstan, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Dunstan

Dunstan

Hi everyone,

The latest Commitments of Traders review is out.

Crude Oil
    COT Change (52W) / C – 33%, LS – 37%, SS – 53% /
    Both of our main cot signals are bearish. We have a huge cot change signal (largest in the past 52 weeks) and we have reached a significant cot extreme level also. Of course caution is advised, these extremes can become much larger, but nevertheless, we have a bearish picture from the report.

Sugar
    COT Extreme / C – 435 report, LS – All Time COT extreme /
    The picture is very clear: all time cot extreme, HUGE bearish signal.

Lumber
    COT Extreme / C – 164, LS – 166 report COT extreme /
    Not an all time cot extreme like in Sugar, but still significant showing us that the rally may be over soon…

All the best,
    Dunstan

COT Charts

#311     May 23, 2016
  2. Dunstan

Dunstan

Hi everyone,

Sorry for being away for so long… I’m back again:)

Crude Oil
    COT Change (52W) / C – 19%, LS – 23%, SS – 47% /
    Having a more or less neutral cot extreme picture in the market it is only the change signal (which is bearish) that we can act on if have to. Although it is large and visible, I would only take it into consideration if besides cot analysis my view would be bearish.

S&P-400
    COT Extreme / LS – All Time COT extreme /
    The picture is very clear and obvious, but in case of indexes, the “correlation factor” should not be neglected. It is very important to have a look at other markets as well, such as Nasdaq, Dow and the S&P-500.

British Pound
    COT Extreme / C, LS – All Time COT extreme /
    Another all time cot extreme signal, now in a currency. Currencies react well to cot signals, so we can expect the GBP to move higher on this bullish signal, but (!) don’t forget that these all time cot extreme can be in the market for many weeks before anything happens.

All the best,
    Dunstan

COT Charts

#312     Aug 22, 2016
  3. Dunstan

Dunstan

Hi everyone,

Feeder Cattle
    COT Change (52W) / C – 41%, LS – 22%, SS – 8% /
    The trend in FC is still bearish. We have had a bit of a rise in prices in recent weeks after the cot report was showing a bullish cot extreme, but now we have this large cot change signal that support price actions in the direction of the main trend.

S&P-500
    Last week it was only S&P-400, but now we have S&P-500 following. This just further supports the fact that stress levels in indexes are rising rapidly.

British Pound
    The all time cot extreme is still present, stress levels are rising. As I have said it last week, this picture may stay the same for many weeks or even months before we see a reaction in price.

All the best,
    Dunstan

COT Charts

#313     Aug 29, 2016
  4. Dunstan

Dunstan

Hi everyone,

Copper
    COT Change (52W) / C – 35%, LS – 31%, SS – 26% /
    Although the cot change signal indicates that prices could jump up now, because of the strength of the bearish cot extreme that we had, I think we should be cautious with any buying now.

S&P-500
    The picture did not change from last week, let’s be patient!

Dow Jones-30
    The third index to have all time cot extreme in Large speculators positions. This definitely strengthens the cot extreme signal in general for indexes as a whole.

All the best,
    Dunstan

COT Charts

#314     Sep 5, 2016
  5. Dunstan

Dunstan

Hi everyone,

USD Index
    COT Change (52W) / C – 41%, LS – 46%, SS – 1% /
    The change in traders positions was huge! This could mean that the dollar index will fall a bit beginning of this week. The cot extreme does not show too much. I would say that it supports the continuation of the rise.

Heating Oil
    COT Extreme / C,LS – 189 report COT extreme /
    We have a very clear bearish cot extreme signal, but caution is advised, since we can easily see further increases in stress levels before the actual top comes.

Crude Oil
    COT Extreme / C - 116, LS – 117 report COT extreme /
    Similarly to Heating Oil (of course not unexpectedly due to the natural correlation between these markets), we have a bearish cot extreme that is large enough to be taken into consideration in our trading.

All the best,
    Dunstan

COT Charts

#315     Oct 17, 2016
  6. Dunstan

Dunstan

Hi everyone,

Wheat
    COT Change (52W) / C – 35%, LS – 29%, SS – 5% /
    Bullish cot change signal and a relatively bullish extreme in the market, so we can state that the cot report definitely supports higher prices.

Soybean Oil
    COT Extreme / C – 1370 report, LS – All Time COT extreme /
    The picture is crystal clear: we have an all time bearish cot extreme --> expect a top soon.

Nasdaq-100
    COT Extreme / C – 619 report, LS – All Time COT extreme /
    A very large bearish cot extreme here, but before any sudden moves, I advise you to check the other indexes as well.

All the best,
    Dunstan

COT Charts

#316     Oct 31, 2016
  7. Dunstan

Dunstan

Hi everyone,

Wheat
    COT Change (52W) / C – 30%, LS – 30%, SS – 8% /
    We have a 30% bearish cot change signal – I wouldn’t act on it – and a cot extreme picture showing bullishness… I’d step aside from this market for now.

Cotton
    Although we’ve got an all time cot extreme, I’m not that confident that cotton will change it’s path for now. I will wait for further increase in the stress level.

Russel-2000
    All Time cot extreme in all major participants positions, but trading indexes these days is risky business.

All the best,
    Dunstan

COT Charts

#317     Nov 30, 2016
  8. ironchef

ironchef

How about the latest Crude Oil?

#318     Nov 30, 2016
  9. Dunstan

Dunstan

Hi,

About a month ago we had a relative bearish extreme in the report. Since then, we have experienced a drop in prices. The report is in a neutral zone now, so there is not much info it can serve us with I'm afraid.

All the best,
    Dunstan

#319     Dec 1, 2016
  10. Dunstan

Dunstan

Hi everyone,

Wheat
    COT Change (52W) / C – 40%, LS – 28%, SS – 34% /
    I’m still on the sidelines here…

Cotton
    No change from last report.

Copper
    COT Extreme / C – 681 report, LS – All Time COT extreme /
    Huge, all time cot extreme here that developed very fast. I think this is a good signal that we can act upon.

All the best,
    Dunstan

COT Charts

#320     Dec 5, 2016