Focusing on Just One Market

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Malinois, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Malinois

Malinois

To the contrary, my point in making that statement was to show how some responses on this forum are indicative of EGO (which in this case includes yours). If in all your VAST experience, you asked a question and someone responded with "when you learn how to trade" What would your response be. If you read my post carefully I did not flame anybody but pointed out that there does appear this habit on this forum of judging others without really knowing enough details to do so. Are we to believe what you say simply because you've been a member of ET for 4 years. It doesn't prove anything, hence my point.

#21     Aug 27, 2006
  2. i don't care what anyone here accepts or does not accept.......if i depended on that i would have been gone 5 yrs ago........it is all about our personal strength to grind it out for years .........no one learns emini daytrading successfully in short time.....smartones even longer.....much longer......5 yrs is average....very seriously my apparently pretty nice fellow poster, the question u asked is a very common one and a good one........many many times i have run multiple charts for 2 markets etc....or more ......and sometimes i have run same market different time frames, same system just different time frames together ........every combo imaginable.......for sure, the more the eye sees, the more the brain imagines, causing the emotions to override with fear and doubt...my very sincere suggestion is to not look at but one market initially.....the es is very smooth, range is iffy but still smooth, with your best system that u have most confidence in, go with that for a while....i believe the experience you said you have is true.......but sometimes that is good and can be bad....as rules for one facet of trading is not good for other facet .....simply put.......my opinion is.......keep it as simple as possible....one market one chart...one system ...as success builds do what you are capable of , just realize that all is slow growth .... ..each additional picture to look at causes discretionary thinking to increase....let the system do the thinking...NEVER TRADE ANYTHING BASED ON MY COMMENTS OR ANYONE ELSE ON ET FORUMS.....TRADE ONLY AFTER U HAVE TESTED REALTIME UNTIL YOU ARE REALLY SICK AND TIRED OF PROVING IT. THEN TRADE ONE CONTRACT.......UNTIL YOUR ACCOUNT GROWS BY AT LEAST 10%......THEN A LITTLE MORE AGGRESSIVE...AS U GO...IMHO only......

#22     Aug 27, 2006
  3. Malinos,

I read some of the posts but not all so may have missed this element.

To me the choice would be about my personal information processing and tendency to take dud trades from boredom. I don't know what timeframes you chart to make your decisions although you do suggest your trade management is intensive. So here's my criteria:

. timeframe, if short suggests one market (say 1min bars and below)
    . learning phase, learn 1 market thoroughly with your method before considering adding a second
    . boredom reaction, if its too slow or periods between trades too long you may take dud trades
    from time to time just to keep awake (a bad strategy :))

Have you considered designating one market primary and only checking out the other(s) on days when its sideways/slow/frustrating?

Kiwi

#23     Aug 27, 2006
  4. Malinois

Malinois

Ok, is that a peace offering? Accepted, however you still making assumptions whether you realize it or not. Although I clerked the S&P and have traded it in many time frames, I am currently not. I was trading Crude Oil as a position trader a couple years ago and it morphed into daytrading because I had the time and it's my preference for risk management. The strategies that I created were the accumulation of experience in other markets with some new observations as well. When it began to work well I naturally wanted to test it in other markets, and chose ER2 because of the volatilility. And worked it did, but now I'm faced with the dilemma which is the basis of this post. Greed and desire to maximize my experience causes me to want to trade as many setups as possible, but it isn't without it's difficulties as I have mentioned.

#24     Aug 27, 2006
  5. Cheese

Cheese

Focuss on one market ONLY.
    You must get know to everything about that market's price behavior to an expert degree.
    Only when prepared and once professional, play in it as a daily winner.

An accurate methodology for one market will be transferable to other markets. This is where you can move to 'machine drive' to be inexorably piling up really serious money.
    :)

#25     Aug 27, 2006
  6. Malinios

I was coming back to say i was sorry for tripping your fragile ego, but looks like i am late.

Ask a rookie question then claim to be a big shooter just makes one take a second look. something is wrong there. Please be advised that i try to gice answers to such questions because every newbie deserves an answer. Sorry your trading has been so difficult all these past years. man if it refuses to gel, throw in the towel.

Bit, if you have something to say......... say it like you mean it... :D

last post on this subject, thks for the challenge

#26     Aug 27, 2006
  7. fair enough hog....GO TO HELL

#27     Aug 27, 2006
  8. Malinois

Malinois

Man, this place is like a merry-go round, constantly forced to choose between ignoring stupid inflammatory comments or defend yourself. I guess in this case I have chosen the latter.

In respect to fragile egos, maybe we should look at yours instead. I did say thanks for the response, only that you made assumptions that were false. And here we are and you still are. Since when is my question an newbie one, and more importantly, I NEVER claimed to be a BIG SHOOTER. Nowhere in there do I say that. Really your ," I';m the experienced trader and your the pupil "screams out loud and clear. Get a clue!!

#28     Aug 27, 2006
  9. yeah, dont pay attention to this freak, hes attackin' others because of his own limitations. tell him to get bent and move on.

#29     Aug 27, 2006
  10. who is showing shallow character here? the ones cursing and screaming or the ones calmly stating comments?

#30     Aug 27, 2006