Flurry of orders on price level movement..?

Discussion in 'Order Execution' started by murphmack, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Hi, this is my first post on Elite Trader.. I've been doing DMA day trading through working at Swift (I'm loving it so far) and have only been here for a little over 2 months. But this one little thing has always tickled my curiosity..

When I am watching the T&S and I start to notice an increase in speed and volume in a certain direction, e.g. increasing amount of prints hitting the offer, I will watch it tick up to the next price level and then a very short flurry of prints will get hit at that same price only it will be the bid of the higher price level. I'll draw it out.

X is Offer Side
    O is Bid Side..
    -----------------------
    X 5.25 } And then it continues to tick up
    X 5.25
    X 5.25
    X 5.25
    X 5.25
    X 5.25
    O 5.24 }
    O 5.24 } These are the prints I'm
    O 5.24 } wondering how to get filled at.
    O 5.24 } Usually NYSE or Arca prints.
    O 5.24 }
    X 5.24
    X 5.24
    X 5.24
    X 5.24
    X 5.24
    X 5.24
    X 5.24
    X 5.24
    X 5.24
    X 5.24
    X 5.24
    X 5.24
    X 5.24
    X 5.24
    X 5.24
    X 5.24

2. Eggo

Eggo

The biggest factor would be the time at which you placed your orders. You've need to have placed them early.

Whoever was was willing to sell at market or a limit offer while the tick was runing fast the other way would hit whoever was next in line on the bid.

Today was my first day trading at Swift, and this is my first post ever reagrding trading, so anyone is welcome to come along and correct me if I am wrong.

3. Eggo

Eggo

Are you still at Swift? Which branch? How is it going?