Flu vs COVID

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by apdxyk, Aug 24, 2020.

1. Turveyd

Turveyd

Covid Deaths are about the same maybe slightly less if you remove all the Died Testing for crap, than Flu on a bad year where the Vaccine didn't work as it mutated the wrong way.

2015/2016 35K Flu deaths 2x's normal, did it get a mention from the media ?? hell no!!

News Report the other day, doctors are confused as to why cases increasing but deaths not, doh!!! your testing more people, before you was only testing people that went into hospitals and had it bad and needed treatment, know your testing loads to try to make it seem worse.

#21     Aug 24, 2020
    Buy1Sell2 likes this.
  2. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

I wouldn't take a vaccine that's been rushed (ignoring testing procedures) for political purposes in an Election year. Simply, putting politics above the health of the public...very bad.

Strong reminder, this has happen before in 1976 Swine Flu Outbreak when President Gerald Ford was running for re-election. He rushed a vaccine for use by millions and he himself took that vaccinated shot.

Later they learn there was a problem with the rushed vaccine...a big problem.
    Republican President Gerald Ford put pressure on the CDC / FDA to rush the vaccine through the approval process via ignoring clinical trials that were designed to ensure the safety of application to the public all while the WHO took a "wait and see" approach.
    • The Swine Flu Program was marred by a series of logistical problems ranging from the production of the wrong vaccine strain to a confrontation over liability protection to a temporal connection of the vaccine and a cluster of deaths among an elderly population in Pittsburgh. The most damning charge against the vaccination program was that the shots were correlated with an increase in the number of patients diagnosed with an obscure neurological disease known as Guillain–Barré syndrome (1).
    It help give rise to the anti-vaccine groups.

Guess what the current Republican President of the United States is trying to do ?

By the way, Democrat Jimmy Carter defeated Republican Gerald Ford in 1976.

The CDC director lost his job because of the problems caused by that vaccination program of 1976 was a fiasco on the public health...he was fired by the new President after the harm done to the American public.

As for myself, I'm not going near any vaccination center and will use a wait n see approach via letting others be the Canary in the Mine.

wrbtrader

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    #22     Aug 24, 2020
    comagnum likes this.
  3. Overnight

Overnight

Whoops?

"It is considered that the benefits of vaccination in preventing influenza outweigh the small risks of GBS after vaccination. In fact, natural influenza infection is a stronger risk factor for the development of GBS than is influenza vaccination and getting the vaccination actually reduces the risk of GBS overall by lowering the risk of catching influenza. Even those who have previously experienced Guillain–Barré syndrome are considered safe to receive the vaccine in the future..."

#23     Aug 24, 2020
  4. VicBee

VicBee

I remember in early February hearing about covid in China spreading to Korea, Taiwan and Japan and the economic shut down and climbing death count. I was reaching out to friends in California, warning them that if it hits the US, it would easily kill 150k people because of how disorganized and undisciplined Americans are.
    I remember how unaffected the responses were, like I was crying wolf. At the time I wasn't trading but almost suddenly thought about my all stocks 401k and over the weekend kept telling my wife how urgent it was to switch everything to cash... She thought I was losing my mind! I called my broker first thing Monday morning (he thought I was losing my mind as well), the 1st day of the market crash and managed to save 23% of my savings that day.
    A few weeks later, covid was running through the East Coast and cases hitting the Bay Area but no one was taking it seriously despite the climbing death counts in Italy and Iran.
    I again thought that Asia would pull out of it and get factories running again while the US would sink in a massive death count and realized that the stock market, looking a future profits in the now recovering Asia, would do well despite people dying by the thousands in the US. By end of March, way ahead of the curve, I put my entire 401k back in the stock market...my YTD return is up 70%.

#24     Aug 24, 2020
  5. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

No...

I wanted to show exactly what was stated by the health officials "after" pressure from the White House in 1976 to try to convince the public that the vaccine was safe.

I forgot to include another quote that they later realize they made a mistake in the testing process that eventually resulted in the CDC director being fired. :D

Actually, I can't find the link to that info. :(

wrbtrader

#25     Aug 24, 2020
  6. piezoe

piezoe

You make it possible to appreciate smart people all the more.

#26     Aug 25, 2020
  7. piezoe

piezoe

Well you did the right thing with regard to the market. This market will continue to snare late comers and go on until it can't any more. Stay vigilant and keep an eye on the dollar if it starts to strengthen be weary. It has weakened precipitously since march and is now ~4% lower than its 2019 value (when it was reasonably steady). Will a Biden win bring strengthening? I would guess, yes, but who knows. Will a weak currency prove to be addicting?

#27     Aug 25, 2020
    Cuddles likes this.
  8. VicBee

VicBee

Interesting point and, my apologies for steering the thread away from the title for a minute, one that may explain an unexpected situation I encountered recently.
    My wife and I purchased an apartment on a Spanish island in the Mediterranean this month. I learned that a European directive prohibits mortgage loans from borrowers paid in US dollars... other than for political reasons I couldn't understand why. Maybe concerns over fluctuation?

#28     Aug 25, 2020
  9. piezoe

piezoe

I would think currently, until the U.S. political future becomes more certain, there must be a good deal of apprehension abroad concerning political interference in U.S. Central Bank policy. Trump referring to "My Generals," and "my Central Bank," can do nothing to ease that apprehension. Trump said, “I’m doing deals, and I’m not being accommodated by the Fed,” ... “I’m not happy with the Fed. They’re making a mistake because I have a gut, and my gut tells me more sometimes than anybody’s brain can ever tell me.”

Trump wants to pump the stock market, and he knows a cheap dollar will do it. But if you've agreed to lend in Euro's and accept a fixed dollar denominated payment, you might be disappointed in your ROI.

I just noticed that I wrote "weary" in my original post when I meant "wary".

#29     Aug 26, 2020
  10. Nobert

Nobert

Noone cares anymore, show over ;
    only true fans are buying discounted field hospital tents and re-watching Resident Evil in hopes of second wave.

Screenshot (59).png

Although, that is a reasonable idea for another show wave from media, the second wave as the explanation to push down those peaks.
    (given the fact that the weather will come in it's favor pretty soon, = buy toilet paper)

#30     Aug 28, 2020