Flu Shot

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Big AAPL, Oct 11, 2020.

1. Big AAPL

Big AAPL

This is my experience...I have avoided the flu shot for close to 30 years...last year I decided to get it as I was approaching 60 years old. My granddaughter, who lives with us was out of school (pre-K) for 3 of 6 weeks in the months of Feb and Mar. She was not the only one. I remember reading that the absentee rate was approaching 60% at the time at South Shore schools. My wife, who was never sick for as long as I can remember was violently ill. I can guarantee that this little girl brought home COVID. My daughter was sick as well...I had virtually NO sick days as all the others suffered. And I am ALWAYS the one who was the most affected. I am the son of a NYC detective and can tell you that I don't like coincidences. I will be getting it again this year, I suggest you do the same.

What are your thoughts?

2. tomorton

tomorton

I am 64 and in the UK the NHS recommends the vaccination for anyone over 65, plus pregnant women, people with certain conditions such as kidney disease, asthma or heart disease and carers or those in care homes. None of these criteria apply to me and my immune system is not compromised by any other chronic condition.

In normal times I get flu about once every 3-4 years, it lasts a few days and has no serious effects.

I had covid in March but the symptoms (apart from the taste thing) only lasted 3 days and I am fitter and lighter now than I was a year ago. I am not in contact with anyone who is in an at risk group from covid.

Meantime, I am keeping away from places where sick people go, like doctors' surgeries and pharmacies.....

So no flu jab for me this year.

Big AAPL likes this.
  3. wartrace

wartrace

I just got my flu shot this weekend. I got one last year but still got sick. I figure the flu shot is a preventative measure that may or may not work. I am curious if I might have caught the COVID but it was in late January 2020 so it was a bit early for that. It was one of the worst illnesses I have ever had. I didn't eat for four days and didn't leave my bed for at least two days. Lost 15 pounds. :D

4. Overnight

Overnight

You had the COVID.

The flu shot has nothing to do with the COVID. If you got what felt like the worst flu ever in your life, you got the COVID.

Our household got the worst flu ever in our lives from Jan to end of March 2020. It spread from one to the other. It came from a family member that spent X-mas 2019 Holiday in Hawaii. Visited us on Jan 5th.

So we had the fucking thing.

Everyone needs to get over it. The thing was all over this country by March of this year. Just follow the markets...They somehow knew.

5. tomorton

tomorton

I have no doubts you're right, even as early as January the odds are that would be covid. The earliest lab-verified case was in December I think, in France.

The markets were not wrong to down-play the impact of covid on the economy, but politicians and public health advisors have to consider the impact on the whole of society, which includes many who are both economically unproductive and inactive. The impact from the protective measures for these groups has yet to be fully felt.