'Flow', 'Mastery' & The 'Way' of the Trade

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Flow, Nov 30, 2002.

1. Flow

Flow

I started this thread in the hopes that we may discuss some of the more subjective~internal aspects of the game and the journey toward mastery. But, do it in such a way that it conveys our own direct experiences, rather than intellectual second-hand conceptualizations. To talk of the game and the internal process as a verb, rather than a noun, much in the same way that Robert Koppel tried to do with his work "The Tao of Trading"...

This will be my attempt and hopefully others will join in with their own contributions...

I realize that trying to pin down this stuff with the use of words is futile to say the least, but that is not my motive; for I only want to point a finger at 'it'...

And remember guys, there is no 'right' or 'wrong' here on this thread. If you experience something, such as say patience, or fear, or disicpline, etc. etc. a certain way, and you want to express it, then go for it...

2. If you don't have a system with positive expectancy, then using intuition is an excellent method.

3. Flow

Flow

The 'big' picture...

You must act as if the goal were infinitely off ~Eugene Herrigel~

This quote by Herrigel rings much truth for me, both from the perspective of how I view and deal with the short-term monetary results, and on a larger macro scale...

I have been reminded many more times than I would like to admit that the short-term fluctuations are nothing more than noise in the bigger picture. That each and every trade has a large amount of chance attached to it and by allowing myself to become inflated over one big hit, I am personally planting a nasty seed. I still derive a sort of deep satisfaction from a job well done, but it is fleeting and almost immediately forgotten. The way goes onward and by the next trade I am all business once again...

This is a game of odds and probabilities. The numbers must work themselves out with time, alot of time. The inescapable laws of a probable outcome must be let to lead their own dance - I just focus on mine...

The journey is one of an infinite nature. Each and every trade nothing more than one miniscule step along a path that has no destination. Some steps more significant than others, but miniscule just the same...

Everytime I step outside of myself and think I have gotten someplace, I am immediately reminded of how far I still need to go. Just one long continuous-endless journey with absolutely no end in sight...

A true master knows no end, sees no end, feels no end. He plays the part of student until the day he departs...

4. I sometimes picture myself as an old wise man. With all of my wisdom and experience I feel as if I have arrived. As if I have completed every possible challenges in life. Now that I think of it, I guess there is no end in challenges.

As a child I hated challenges. Challenges meant failure, and failure meant my dad telling me I'm no good. Now that I'm older, and have a great desire to succeed in this business, I realized this can be a psychological barrier from my goal. Now I welcome all challenges. Mistakes only means there's another lesson for me to learn, and every new lesson I encounter means I am becoming a better person. I'm gaining more and more confidence in myself, and now welcome all challenges.

I have lost the fear of failing and life has become much more satisfying. I hope the lessons never stop because I am nowhere near where I'd like to be... but at the same time I feel content with myself. I guess I feel this way because I believe in myself...

Andy

5. Flow

Flow

"Failure!There is no such word in all the bright lexicon of speech, unless you yourself have written it there. There is no such thing as failure except to those who accept and believe in it." ~Orison Sweet Marden~

6. Flow

Flow

• Think of what is right and true...
    • Learn to see everything accurately...
    • Become aware of what is not obvious...
    • Be careful even in small matters...
    • Do not do anything useless...
    ~Miyaoto Musashi; The Book of Five Rings - 1643~

7. Rhythm

Rhythm

The ordinary way is the way.

- Zen proverb

Along my journey I found that the urge for novelty was nothing more than a way to justify my impulses, without stopping to think about the results of my actions.

The urge for novelty is also a direct result of not trusting the means at your disposal. You want to know more because you believe you know little. Instead work seriously with the means (knowledge) at your disposal and you will be granted that which you need and don't have, and even more.

Ignorance is bliss.

-From the movie Swordfish

The snake is an ancient symbol of knowledge. The snake paralyzes its prey and its poison is mortal. Embrace ignorance instead and master yourself, not the game, for the ordinary way is the way.

8. Flow

Flow

There is a technical element of the game which must be learnt. You can choose to ig-nore-it, but you will stay ig-nore-ant. Get the facts or the facts will soon enough get you...

You may not have to understand exactly 'why' the market does what the market does; for she will do what she will do whether you understand or not -- but you better be able to recognize it if you ever want to be able to act in accord with it...

There is only one way to successfully play this game -- it is not the 'right' way or the 'wrong' way, not his way or your way, but the markets way. You must know this way like it were the back of your hand...

'Should you desire the great tranquility, prepare to sweat white beads' ~Hakuin~

9. The only people that desire the great tranquility are short options.

10. Flow

Flow

[​IMG]
    'Never fear mistakes - there are none...' ~Miles~
    'If anybody wants to keep creating they have to be about change...'~Miles~
    'My future starts when I wake up every morning...' ~Miles~

#10     Dec 1, 2002