Florida--Sarasota/Tampa Area

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by gotta_trade, Feb 10, 2003.

1. tampa

tampa

I have lived in Naples., Miami, and Tampa. Frankly, I hate Tampa...I am a big city boy from the Northeast, and Tampa drives me up the wall. I understand Miami, and therefore like it. Naples itself is neat, what's around it ain't (IMHO).

Florida is a place full of runaways - running away from snow, bad marriages, bills, even Dictators. There are a lot of losers, and malcontents. The poor people who are actually from here have been overwhelmed with outsiders who are only too happy to tell them how to run the place - and sometimes that's a problem. When I first moved to Naples only 22 years ago, the McDonald's CLOSED at 6:30 at night May thru October! It was a very quiet place. It ain't now.

It can take some
    getting used to - that's for sure. The one thing I can tell you is that before you are unpacked, you will be declaring that we really don't heed or want any one else to "come on down":)

Just remember, in 22 years I have yet to meet anyone from Vermont - should you move here, that simple fact will have far more meaning thenit does now...

...oh, as for that surfing thing - there really ain't too much surf, but that doesn't keep them from trying...and wind surfing is not unheard of, especially during the winter...more waves, more wind...

#81     Feb 13, 2003
  2. pug

pug

OK, Tampa, I hear you, but...

We've lived in Kansas City, Denver, Colorado Springs, Tampa (Brandon, to be exact), and Dallas.

We liked Tampa the best. Especially Brandon/Valrico. Reasonable housing, decent schools, very friendly people, and decent access to inshore saltwater fishing, which I became addicted to.

Job relocation took us to Dallas four years ago.

But, as fate has it, we're moving back, cause we just liked it and the people the best. Humidity, traffic, weird politics and Canadian quarters aside, it was still the best.

So, knock it if you will, but you'll have another resident returning in July. Hope to meet you.:D

#82     Feb 13, 2003
  3. trendy

trendy

Tampa, I'll be glad to pay for your bus ticket to North Carolina. I hear there are a lot of other Florida malcontents up there you can comisserate with.

#83     Feb 13, 2003
  4. tampa

tampa

Are you an idiot for liking Tampa? No. Am I a moron for being less than enthralled with it? No. Different strokes, for different folks. In truth, Tampa has been very good to me, I just hate it - that's all:)

#84     Feb 13, 2003
  5. why did you name your alias after it if you hate it so?

#85     Feb 13, 2003
  6. tampa

tampa

(This is an example of a genuine Florida cracker - the cracker lacks a sense of humor, any degree of sophistication, and tends to be the kind of guy who says things he has no intention of backing up. Within 5, maybe 10 years at the most, he will be all but extinct - having been replaced by ex-New Yorkers)

(Also note the inability to read and/or comprehend what he has read. I have mentioned another state over and over again - and it wasn't NORTH CAROLINA - OH, THIS PLACE IS A HELL HOLE.)

#86     Feb 13, 2003
  7. tampa

tampa

...hmmm...maybe I don't like myself either...

#87     Feb 13, 2003
  8. tell us
    your a good guy

were you bettin on the bucs?

#88     Feb 13, 2003
  9. cartm

cartm

How about Boca? Or is that a retirement community. (And don't say Florida IS a retirement community bc I live in the second oldest county in the US.) There was a thread a while back discussing the pros/cons of Fla and taxes etcetera, I am too lazy to find it right now, but if you're interested, look it up.

#89     Feb 13, 2003
  10. tampa

tampa

Surely you jest - Super Bowl Sunday was the darkest day of my life. I hate them. I despise the very mention of them - in particular, Warren Fat, Mike Allcrap, John Grinch, and Brat Johnson. The only bet I would place on them is that the team plane flies into a mountain, all survive the crash, but end up eating each other while waiting for rescuers!!!

#90     Feb 13, 2003