Florida--Sarasota/Tampa Area

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by gotta_trade, Feb 10, 2003.

1. Perhaps you're correct. I sit here waiting for months for someone to violate my precious "Hook Up' forum so that I can instill my dictatorship. I got an itchy trigger finger before anybody actually complained. Unless anybody has any complaints, I will let this thread run it's course.
    At least I can now relax and go to my 'lonely guy' spot at the bar and contemplate my next act of dictatorship.
    :)

#61     Feb 13, 2003

2. I have research Florida for the last year and I have traveled there to visit different areas.

Sometimes it's nice to ask, "the general population", questions and get their basic views.

Thanks for the "surf the net" idea, I never thought of that one. I think I'll try it.

#62     Feb 13, 2003
  3. tampa

tampa

Just as I suspected! Give a guy a little bit iof power, and he becomes a monster - I've seen it before.

And don't sit all the way down there by your self...pick up your drink and move up here, with the trouble makers - whatcha drinkin? I'm buyin'

(at least it will keep you from plotting your next move}

So, have you ever been to Vermont?

#63     Feb 13, 2003
  4. taodr

taodr

Bradonton is a shithouse. Look at Naples at least there's a decent core.

#64     Feb 13, 2003
  5. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

Tampa...
    you are brightening up my day with your acerbic comments on Florida....you are a really funny dude!:D :D

About this time of year in the orange state we all go stark raving mad from the damn tourists and snowbirds.

Why do they call it "season" if we can't shoot them?

I love hurricane season, no one is here but us locals.....makes me look foreward to those hot sticky months when we run around 1/2 nekkid to keep cool here in the keys. We reserve going totally bare for Fantasy Fest in October.:D :D

#65     Feb 13, 2003
  6. BIG SHOW

BIG SHOW

Any Wyoming traders here?

#66     Feb 13, 2003
  7. tampa

tampa

Naples itself is kinda neat - but it's more "seasonal" than Tampa, or Miami.

Miami is a wild place - with an element of "danger" in the air.

Tampa is a more or less laid back place. It's biggest drawback is that it desperately wants to be a "big city"

The Clearwater and St. Pete beach area is overcrowded, VERY touristy, and a nightmare to get around.

Florida is a very big state with very diverse interests and needs. Urban areas are jammed with people, growing very rapidly, and unable to keep up. Rural areas are very rural (if you get my drift) The Northern part of the state bares no resemblance to the southern part. Central Florida is dominated by Disney, and other theme parks. The panhandle is a world of it's own.

Weather is surprisingly cool in the winter north of Palm Beach. Summer is more sufferable south of Palm Beach - go figure.

I Like Sarasota for "West Coast" living. It's a little artsy, but a neat place. Some of the "east coast" towns around Palm Beach County (and north Broward County) are probably more of what you think Florida is really like.

The interior, with only a few exceptions, would probably be total cultural shock for most Yankees. The Pan Handle is not called the "Redneck Riviera" for nothing - and is more susceptible to hurricanes in the later part of summer.

I can't speak for Northern Florida, as I have passed through it. Just keep in mind that all of the things I joked about in previous posts are basically kinda true - exaggerated, yes, but they can drive you nuts ( I am living proof of that ). About half of the people who live here think it's paradise - the other half ain't so sure. Depending on where you are coming from, you will find wages breathtakingly low, government services much lower, and keep in mind that a loaf of bread costs as much here as anywhere. There is no state income tax, property taxes are usually lower, but they nickle and dime you to death in ways you can't imagine. Most schools have "portable" classrooms, and there is a severe teacher shortage (Florida thinks anything over $3.85 an hour for teacn' youngins' is asking too much)

Just for the record - I live in an older, upscale part of Tampa - very urban - and I have snakes, possum, and raccoons in my yard

#67     Feb 13, 2003
  8. Tampa,

What is your take on Charlotte County or the Port Charlotte area?

#68     Feb 13, 2003
  9. tampa

tampa

My take, and only my take - very laid back, somewhat "seasonal", but less then in the past. You'll find a lot of house trailers, and RV's. It is a magnet for working class folks from the mid-west. You will find it relatively friendly, but unsophisticated and a cultural wasteland. But if you are looking for a laid back place - the kind of place you would want to raise a family, or maybe retire to get away from big city life, you'd probably do well there. If having your neighbor park his boat and trailer on the front lawn will drive you up the wall, or if you are used to buying a copy of Playboy at the 7-11, the place is a "must avoid".

#69     Feb 13, 2003
  10. tampa

tampa

...but you're supposed to have them.

#70     Feb 13, 2003