Florida Or Michigan?? Poll

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Copernicus, Dec 2, 2006.

#2?

1. Florida

33 vote(s)
    55.0%
  2. Michigan

27 vote(s)
    45.0%
  1. You really have to calm the heck down. It's just football. Please, split the prozacs into two already.

Big Ten is like the MAC? Ignorance may be bliss to you, but not to most. How many national title have Big Ten teams won? How many have the MAC won? Yeah, they're comparable. Perhaps in your world.

Oh sure, Bama is so great Minnesota beat them a couple years ago in a bowl. And Georgia--now that's a joke. Arkansas did great against USC. What was the score again? Something like 41 to 9?

TV revenue? Was the Florida-WC game even televised? And as for revenue, it is usually the other way around, for the most part. Big teams pay creampuffs somewhere around 500K or more to serve as, well, creampuffs. That's how new Division I-A teams (and now Division I-AA teams) get the money to grow their programs and pay for their facilities and other athletic programs (they sure don't get any bowl money). Educate yourself already.

Notre Dame played both USC and Michigan, and that's to you not a tough schedule, but Florida beats up on defenseless Western Carolina and Mid-American UCF and that impresses you. Not very sound reasoning, I'm afraid.

Stick to what you know, whatever that is. :)

#41     Dec 4, 2006
  2. Wetzel's argument is compelling but flawed.

1. That Florida beat six teams ranked '"at kickoff"is irrelevant. Many teams are ranked early in the year are long gone by the end (pollsters are fools), and some teams not even ranked at the start prove themselves to be much better than expected. What counts is how the teams are ranked at the END of the year, not at the time of the game. Rutgers was not even close to being ranked at the start, and Iowa is in the top 15 (I think).

2. A victory against a "completely overmatched team" is not the same as mostly overmatched" for the obvious fact that one game is more difficult to win than the other. You can rest players in the second half against a 2-8 team, but probably not against a 6-6 team. Risk of injury is greater against the tougher team. Risk of defeat is also greater. All game count.

#42     Dec 4, 2006
  3. pattersb

pattersb Guest

you had to go there didn't you ... Big Ten a joke?! There is a legimate chance that it will have 3 teams in the top 5 at the end of the year.

If it mattered one iota, I'd search for your prediction for the Wisconsin-Auburn Capital One bowl game last year, I imagine it was a carbon-copy of your Wisconsin-Arkansas prediction this year.

This was suppose to be a down year for Wisconsin, having lost a bunch of the starters to the NFL. They've had more talent in the past, but it wasn't bad for a down year. Admittedly, besides the top three, the rest of the league did seem flat this year.

(Notice the lack of class displayed by the Auburn coach at the end. Come on coach, you can come up with a few more excuses can't you?)

Bowl loss to Wisconsin low point for 2005 Tigers.

COPYRIGHT 2006 The Decatur Daily

Byline: Bradley Handwerger, The Decatur Daily, Ala.

Jan. 4--ORLANDO, Fla. -- On Monday, Auburn lost 24-10 to Wisconsin in the Capital One Bowl despite going in as 10A1/2-point favorites.

The loss is still confounding, befuddling and all together shocking.

Auburn (9-3) fell flat against the Badgers, showing no signs of the explosive offense it displayed against Georgia or the dominant defense with which it hammered Alabama to end the regular season.

"We threw high passes. We dropped balls. I called the wrong plays," Auburn head coach Tommy Tuberville said.

"It's just a mixture of things. You can say we weren't ready. We didn't have...

#43     Dec 4, 2006
  4. FLorida beat LSU which is now playing Notre Dame, after big ass kicking you will see how much MIchigan's big win was worth.

Arkansas is playing Wisconsin, and they will kick big 10 ass

Maybe then you will see why this was a no brainer to let Florida play in the championship.

#44     Dec 4, 2006
  5. golfguy

golfguy

What is Mav going to do if FL gets smoked by OSU in the NC????

Will you then admit MICH should have been in the NC game.....only losing by 3 at OSU!!!

#45     Dec 5, 2006
  6. Maverick74

Maverick74

I'll watch Florida repeat as the NCAA basketball champion of course. :D

#46     Dec 5, 2006
  7. Has a school ever won both bball and fball in one year?

I am sure with the recruits coming in, Florida will win at least 2 fball championships in the next 5 years... Bball may never happen again.

#47     Dec 5, 2006
  8. Maverick74

Maverick74

Are you kidding? They brought back all 5 starters last year from their NCAA Championship team. Three of their starters were going to be drafted in the first round of the NBA draft and they turned the money down to go back and repeat as NCAA Champions.

Yeah, there have been a few schools I'm sure that won both the NCAA football and basketball championship in the same season. I'll have to google it.

#48     Dec 5, 2006
  9. Maverick74

Maverick74

Man, I guess I was wrong.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/statitudes/news/2000/03/30/twosport_schools/

One has done it in the modern era. In fact, only six schools have won both a football and basketball championship at any time!

Both Michigan State and Wisconsin won their bowl games. The only teams to win a basketball title and a New Year's game are the '89 Wolverines and Oklahoma State (formerly Oklahoma A&M) in '45 and '46.

The only other schools that have played in a Jan. 1 bowl game and the basketball national championship game in the same year are Kentucky (1951), California ('59), Arizona ('94), Oklahoma State ('45, 46), Oklahoma ('47, '88) and Michigan ('65, '76, '89, '92 and '93).

#49     Dec 5, 2006
  10. Not to beat a horse to death but Ohio St. is -8 against Florida. I've heard the Vegas line would have been Michigan plus only 3. Thus the oddsmakers, who are the BEST indicator, believe Michigan would have made a stronger Ohio St. opponent than Florida.

#50     Dec 5, 2006