Florida Or Michigan?? Poll

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Copernicus, Dec 2, 2006.

#2?

1. Florida

33 vote(s)
    55.0%
  2. Michigan

27 vote(s)
    45.0%
  1. will u stop with the Western Carolina?
    this was a tune up game. Florida played one extra game for that reason only!!!

You want to ad tough non conference schedule on top of the SEC games, you must be crazy...

Michigan played ND so what? (ND turned out to suck anyway)Ohio State + maybe Wisconsin other tough games and rest, what vacation time??

#31     Dec 3, 2006
  2. Boise State is overrated. They run up the score on weak competition and then fold when they play someone tough (like Georgia, last year).

When they schedule Michigan, USC, Texas, or Notre Dame non-conference, and WIN, then I'll be impressed.

Love the blue field, though. :)

#32     Dec 3, 2006
  3. The Western Carolina game was scheduled only because the NCAA said that Florida had to add one more game to their schedule this season and they couldn't find another opponent.

Honestly, does it really matter if they scheduled Western Carolina or Illinois, Syracuse, Baylor, Duke, etc, etc, etc...

#33     Dec 3, 2006
  4. Part of an article from Dan Wetzel on Yahoo Sports... ( http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=dw-secchampionship120206&prov=yhoo&type=lgns )

Florida is 3-1 vs. the current BCS top 25, with victories over Louisiana State (5), Arkansas (9) and Tennessee (17). Michigan is 2-1, having beaten Wisconsin (7) and Notre Dame (10).

However, both Wisconsin and Notre Dame's lofty rankings come from blasting through an essentially weak schedule. The Badgers didn't defeat a single current BCS top-25 team. Notre Dame's only quality victory is over No. 22 Georgia Tech, which should fall out of the rankings after losing to Wake Forest in the ACC championship game. Meanwhile, LSU and Arkansas have two such victories. Tennessee has one.

The SEC is widely regarded as the toughest in the country, although like the Big Ten, it has few quality non-conference victories. The SEC has just three non-conference victories over BCS top-25 teams. The Big Ten has two.

In terms of losses, Michigan lost at No. 1 Ohio State by three. Florida lost at No. 11 Auburn by 10, although it was essentially four. The Tigers scored on a last-play fumble return while the Gators desperately were trying to score.

The computers have favored Michigan's schedule (although beating Arkansas will help Florida). But the formula is flawed.

College football truly is a have and have-not proposition. Non-BCS league teams rarely defeat a quality team. Essentially all cupcake games are cupcakes, all directionals are created equal. It doesn't matter whether the game is against 9-4 MAC champion Central Michigan (which Michigan beat) or 4-8 Central Florida (which Florida beat).

Statistically they matter. In terms of common sense they don't. The smaller school almost always loses, so what's the difference? The only victories that should count are against the other quality teams.

Florida's strength of schedule is suffering from its ill-advised decision to schedule 2-9 Western Carolina, a last-place Division I-AA team it scrambled to add when the NCAA expanded the schedule to a 12th game. That and the fall of traditional powerhouse rival Florida State (6-6) hurts the Gators.

But a team should not get more credit for beating a completely overmatched team rather than just a mostly overmatched one. Those easy victories should count the same.

The fact is that Florida did everything it could outside of running the table. The Gators beat six teams that were ranked at kickoff, survived the toughest week-in, week-out grind in the college game and put a stamp on it with a dramatic victory here against another dangerous opponent.

This ridiculous championship system forces these impossible comparisons, forces perceptions and computers and biases over what criteria is most important to take the place of what happens on the field. But as Slive said, at this point that's the system, no matter how bad it is.

So on the merits I believe are most important – more victories over clearly strong competition – Florida deserves its shot at Ohio State.

#34     Dec 3, 2006
  5. .

OHIO STATE = GATOR BAIT!!!!!

GOOOO GATORS!!!!!

:cool: :cool: :cool:

#35     Dec 3, 2006
  6. Maverick74

Maverick74

Numbnuts? LOL. Let me help you out here. The reason FL scheduled Western Carolina, outside of the added game to their schedule, is the university actually gets paid a fortune by these small schools to play big conf teams. They bid for them before the season. The small schools get money from the added TV revenue, and UF gets money to add to their program. They do this every year. So please educate yourself a little bit.

Second, please tell me tough guy all about Notre Dame's tough schedule. They are so over rated it's a joke. That was Michigan's only quality win> I'm not counting Wisconsin on principle.

And yes, Big Ten was a joke this year, as they are almost every year. It's Ohio State and Michigan and everyone else might as well be in the MAC conference. I would love to see Michigan play Lsu, Tenn, Florida state, Georgia, Auburn, Arkansas, Bama every year and see if they can run the table. My God man, get a clue.

#36     Dec 3, 2006
  7. if you had both Michigan and OSU in the BCS game the big 10 would just get too much of a payday. Also, if Michigan were to beat OSU then you'd have further complications in the BCS and a possible split of the national title. The BCS had to have the Gators in it by default...definitely not because they deserve it. Either way, it's kind of dumb to say that the Big Ten is a weak conference. Overated yes, but not weak. Not even sure if the national title game will be fun to watch, but lets just hope that Florida puts up a few scores to save face.

#37     Dec 4, 2006
  8. Maverick74

Maverick74

Let's hope Ohio State plays better then that 17-10 win over Illinois! :)

#38     Dec 4, 2006
  9. Alright, internet arguing is lame.

#39     Dec 4, 2006
  10. Maverick74

Maverick74

Who is arguing? Ohio State beat Illinois 17-10. Fact!!!!

#40     Dec 4, 2006