Florida is a mecca for traders, why taxfree Bahamas (50 miles away) is not?

Discussion in 'Taxes and Accounting' started by CSEtrader, Jun 9, 2018.

1. That's trading as an individual, right?

What about setting up a business entity in the offshore location, hiring a couple of (part time/full time) local assistants to handle daily office routines, opening a trading account and installing all necessary equipment to actually trade from there, but nonetheless conducting some or most trading activities away from the offshore location?

Do tax authorities track internet log in locations?

#41     Jun 11, 2018
    CSEtrader likes this.
  2. Living in the Bahamas isn't bad if you're single, have no other responsibilities, and such. But otherwise raising a family there is hard. It ain't the U.S.. Also, you need a visa to get there and live there. You can't just live there on a tourist visa.

#42     Jun 12, 2018
  3. Xela

Xela

There are certainly people doing that, too.

I don't think they'd be allowed to ... and although ISPs are supposed to keep records for a couple of years, I don't think they'd disclose them (perhaps other than to security services, under anti-terrorism legislation) without a court order, and I don't think that would be at all easy for HMRC to get, if they ever even wanted to try. Don't take my word for this, though: I'm only guessing.

#43     Jun 12, 2018
    CSEtrader and elitenapper like this.
  4. nursebee

nursebee

Why move to avoid taxes when there are other ways to do so?

#44     Jun 12, 2018
  5. qxr1011

qxr1011

Bahamas is not US - as simple as that. And if the price of living in US is to pay US taxes then I will pay them.

#45     Jun 12, 2018
    Handle123 likes this.
  6. in all these 'trade from a tax haven paradise' thread variants I share the following:

1. as humans we crave both urban excitement and a quiet place in connection with nature. To be truly satisfied imo you need to split your time between a high end urban area and a sparsely populated countryside retreat. If you have one without the other after a while you will crave the other.

2. all of these threads tend to ignore the practical day to day issues of family schooling, medical care, safety and security, culture and entertainment. It's not possible to have high quality services in these paradise tax havens. Yeah you get a great tan for a month but then realise your kid's school is lacking, some of the locals are light fingered/jealous and the nearest museum is 2 days away. Yeah it's possible if you want to live a rustic lifestyle, homeschooling your kids but lets not pretend that doesnt come with problems. Kids growing up without any social skills/exposure to life being one.

If I was considering living in that part of the world I would be looking to buy a house in Miami near decent schooling, services and pay my taxes. Suck it up people pay your taxes. Then I would look to buy a holiday home in Bahamas to use in school holidays/weekends.

#46     Jun 13, 2018
    Pekelo and Handle123 like this.
  7. Maverick74

Maverick74

And to add to that, WTF do people have against taxes? Jesus Christ, I'm a libertarian and even I think taxes in the US are insanely low. The avg American has an effective tax rate in the single digits and they want to move to some 3rd world island to save a few percent?

#47     Jun 13, 2018
  8. truetype

truetype

Google "Tax Freedom Day." The scales will fall from your eyes.

#48     Jun 13, 2018
    d08 likes this.
  9. Sig

Sig

Google "life in Somalia" and the scales will fall from your eyes.

We (or at least @Maverick74) are finance professionals, we aren't unaware of what we pay in taxes.

#49     Jun 13, 2018
  10. truetype

truetype

#50     Jun 13, 2018
    CSEtrader likes this.