Flip a coin for entry

Discussion in 'Trading' started by dnaj65000, Feb 2, 2004.

1. I'm sure some of you have tried this before. Can you tell me what you found out? I am experimenting with this "strategy" if you can call it that. I'm going to learn the hard way, but if anyone has anything to say about this method, I'd be happy to hear from you.

Here's my game rules:
    * Flip a coin. Heads = long. Tails = short
    * Trading this on the FX market EUR/USD cuz it has the tightest spread and cuz it's a 24 hr market.
    * Stop loss is set at -10 pips/ticks
    * Profit target set at +25 pips/ticks
    * Factoring a 2 pip spread, break even requires a 30.3% win ratio

That's it, gonna test this out on 100 trades/samples before crunching the numbers and seeing if there's a statistical significance.

2. you're joking. You must be very bored. But in reality, day trading is just as risky, if not more so, than correctly picking a coin side.

3. nitro

nitro

Heeeeeeeyyyy,

No man. Tell me what you come up with. I am going to try too man, but hey, you know, I wanna make sure I get a real good random coin first, you know? You can never be too careful with that ES, know what I mean dude?

Let me know how your random trading goes man...I think we should even start our own chatroom man, but I think there would probably be too many disagreements over the coin we use man, and I hate mental chatrooms man.

Peace brother...and pass the doobie

nitro

4. nitro

nitro

BTW maaaaan,

Have you tried the cat on the keyboard method? That is really where we seperate the men from the boys.

Let me know if you are willing to test that for me man - see I don't have a cat. Buuuuuuuummmmmmer MAAAAAAAAN.

nitro

5. Singer

Singer

Nitro... holy sarcasm! :cool:

All I can say is... I'd love to see how it turns out, and I'm glad someone else is doing it so I'll never have to.

6. Why do we keep on playing old records over and over again at ET.

7. I tried it :D but my cat is too lazy man, I can't get her to walk on the keyboard for 6 hours :(

TM Trader

8. Do you assume everyone on ET knows every thread on the site or something?

9. abogdan

abogdan

If I may, gentlemen:

Our company wasted over a million dollars researching this subject in depth. We have conclusively proved to ourselves: Random entries DO NOT WORK . So, please, apply your energy and knowledge somewhere else, don't waste your time, learn from our mistakes. I also suggest that we create on ET the bank of ideas that have been thoroughly researched and dismissed. I think it will help us a great deal.
    Regards,

10. Absolutely not. Only the biggest nutty ones.

#10     Feb 2, 2004