Flaws in Warren Buffett's reasoning re: Treasuries "bubble"

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Cutten, Mar 1, 2009.

1. harkm

harkm

No argument will be convincing to you because you have already made up your mind and are completely fixated on the term "bubble". I personally believe that the 26 year bull market in bonds is over and this last rally was the final blowoff. Rates will go higher from here unless they are manipulated, which is certainly a possibility.

#21     Mar 1, 2009
  2. Acumen

Acumen

It is only being called a bubble because anyone can tell its not going to last.

The target FF rate cant stay under 0.25% forever, when it goes up, the price appreciation T's have experienced will turn into a depreciation and the "bubble" will pop.

Its not rocket science.

TBT all the way.

#22     Mar 1, 2009
  3. I believe we are in a bubble times of calling bubbles. Ever since the tech bubble, everyone is trying to beat everyone to it calling out every perceived misvaluation, as if there is some little karate trophy to be claimed doing so.

#23     Mar 1, 2009
  4. why not. How long have Japan's overnight rates been at 1.0% or under ?

http://www.stat-search.boj.or.jp/ssi/mtshtml/d_en.html

That's an aweful long time to wait to be correct. Not to mention TBT can compound against you even if underlying goes flat, adding a virtual theta holding it. (yes I own some, and have experienced this, but I hold it as a hedge against a much larger variable debt liability.. so its worth it to me)

#24     Mar 1, 2009
  5. OP has very legit question about Buffett's claim, first of all, if Buffetts thinks Market is wrong, then he should trade to take advantage of it. yet he isn't, he is losing on his equities bet, (paper lost so far until 2019). Anyway, he is the best loser so far, only down 9.6% last year, compare to most of index (s&p and dow) down of more than 50%.

#25     Mar 1, 2009
  6. harkm

harkm

If the treasuries are such a good bet at these levels why is our Secretary of State traveling to China to make sure the Chinese will continue to buy them?

"I appreciate greatly the Chinese government's continuing confidence in United States Treasuries. I think that's a well grounded confidence," Clinton said. "We have every reason to believe that the United States and China will recover and that together we will help to lead the world recovery."

Asked if China might someday rethink its purchases of U.S. Treasuries, Yang provided little direction, saying only that China makes decisions on how to invest its foreign exchange reserves so as to ensure their safety, value and liquidity.

Was Japan out campaigning to other countries for money?

#26     Mar 1, 2009
  7. What you in essence are doing is defining out the existence of bubbles. Nobody knows for sure inflation or deflation. Most people think 0.95% inflation, nobody can dismiss this as implausible, this does not mean bonds cannot be in a bubble, what most people think or not is irrelevant, it is a persons right to call whatever a bubble or not, in the future we will know, if 4% inflation happens bonds are a bubble, if most people are wrong it does not matter, they are wrong, this is not to say I am bearish on bonds..

#27     Mar 1, 2009

8. +1

#28     Mar 1, 2009
  9. Daal

Daal

Buffett calls Bill Gross one of the smartest guys he ever met, and interestinly enough even though Buffett is considered a grand guru lots of Buffetts opinions are just stuff he got off Gross like 'government is all-in', 'people are delevering and the Treasury needs to use its balance sheet to lever up' and now of course 'treasuries are in a bubble'(gross said it had 'bubble elements')

We all know gross is just trying to pump the agency market and his opinion is highly suspect anyways as he works for a bond fund and tends too optimistic, if he makes his clients too fearful they will just redeem and buy gov bonds

So it seems we ought be more careful to jump in a Buffett bandwagon and check his facts if he will rely in suspect opinions and expose them as if they were totally true

#29     Mar 1, 2009
  10. Cutten

Cutten

Many, many of the acknowledged prior investment bubbles, if not all of them, would easily qualify under my definition. What are your grounds then, for saying I am defining out the existence of bubbles? My post even mention at least two that have happened in the last decade.

I defined "bubble" in a way that I felt was consistent with almost all past examples now commonly accepted as bubbles, and that does not include what are not considered bubbles, that nevertheless had adverse price movement afterwards. If you think there are past bubbles that would not have met my conditions, perhaps you could list some? Or if you think some things would have fit my definition of bubbles but were not in fact real bubbles, again, perhaps you could give some examples?

I am interested in how you would define "bubble" - if my definition is wrong or misleading, please explain *why* it is wrong, and offer a better definition.

#30     Mar 1, 2009