Flat Screen CRT Monitors?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kowboy, Feb 8, 2002.

1. There are several sights on the web for monitors. I use Tiger
    Direct at www.tigerdirect.com . As an example a 19" CRT quality
    monitor runs about $200.00 (recertified). Shipping & insurance may sometimes run $35.00 per monitor , which is over 15% of the price of the monitor and you have the possibility of damage in shipment. If you have a Comp. USA or discount computer outlet locally, it might be best to buy local and save the shipping cost.
    A better value on the web for those who can afford it are LCD Flat screen monitors that are now offered as low as $550.00(17" LCD) on Tiger Direct & other discount outlets.

Gene Weissman
    Lieber & Weissman Sec., L.L.C.
    gweissman@stocktrade.net

#11     Feb 8, 2002
  2. iiphos

iiphos

i'd recommend the 19" trinitron. flat screen and very clear, crisp picture.

#12     Feb 8, 2002
  3. My 19" flat sony trinitron is terrific. Got it with a Dell system about a year ago

My 21" sony trinitron is also very good, but contrast is not as good as the 19".

If you can afford it, get an LCD. My LCD (ViewSonic) is by far the best monitor I have and as I upgrade and/or replace the Sonys it will be with LCD's - no doubts.

#13     Feb 8, 2002
  4. I have Sony 19" CRT, very good.
    I used to have a SGI 1600 SW LCD. It's ok
    Currently I have 1 18" Viewsonic LCD. It is very good. I love it.

I would say, if you can afford $900 per display, go for the LCD.

#14     Feb 8, 2002
  5. Magna

Magna Administrator

For trading I have two Samsung 955DF and one Viewsonic A90f. All are 19", all are flatscreen, all are non-trinitron, all are excellent quality, crisp text, all set to 1280x1024. I personally don't like trinitrons, too bright for my eyes, and when scaled back it kills the contrast (even with the latter set at 100%), also hate those 2 fine wires that support the aperture grille, and I'm not crazy about the "inwardly" curving screen (okay if all you have are trinitrons, but disorienting if you mix with a non-trinitron nearby). Also have a cheap 17" Samtron just for chats, web browsing, etc. and, surprisingly, it's picture quality exceeds an IBM 17" I used for years.

#15     Feb 8, 2002
  6. #16     Feb 8, 2002
  7. kowboy

kowboy

Thanks alot for the help,

That gives a lot to go on. Don't have a city anywhere near to see the products before ordering.

#17     Feb 8, 2002