Flat panels worse than crt?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jem, Nov 1, 2003.

1. "wanker ware?" that is pretty funny. I prefer CRTs myself because current technology doesn't allow for high resolution LCDs. This last statement isn't entirely true but to understand what I am saying, compare the prices of CRTs and LCDs with the same resolution. Huge difference in price...

#31     Nov 1, 2003
  2. Oxonian Trader said:

LCDs DON"T COMPARE to CRTs. The resolutions you can get out of a crt these days is unbelievable while LCD resolution still has a ways to go. I know a trader who switched from three LCDs to just ONE monitor with no loss of screenspace. Granted, the text size was very very small on the CRT as compared to the LCDs but traders get used to small text size, I imagine! Also, CRTs are SO much cheaper as they are consdiered "old technology."

I think the statement above is an overgeneralization. As has been mentioned elsewhere in this thread, if you have the right configurations, etc., LCD's can work great, as mine do. I've got digital connections so that may make a difference too. Do your own research and make your own conclusions.

#32     Nov 1, 2003
  3. Never said they couldn't work great but that they just don't compare with CRTs. Admittedly, LCDs save energy. But, if you can do the same thing with 1 CRT that you can do with 3 CRTs then maybe you aren't really saving money! High resolution is available with LCDs but at crazy prices not to mention that LCDs don't usually last as long as CRTs. So, given that information, people are free to make their educated decisions on this matter. Obviously, you know where I stand...:)

#33     Nov 1, 2003
  4. nkhoi

nkhoi

wow! thank for the link , everything is so clear now. no more fiddle with font size setting for me.

#34     Nov 1, 2003
  5. THE MAN

THE MAN

i'll buy one of these things when they're good for gaming and about $200.

#35     Nov 1, 2003
  6. TGregg

TGregg

I thrashed through this question about the begriming of the year, whether to get more CRTs or switch to LCDs. One thing I worried about was resolution. But I run fairly big charts anyways, so I simply bought more screen space in LCD than I would have in CRT, and that problem was solved. I went Samsung 191Ts, and I am quite happy with them. They run cooler than my CRTs did. And, although I never noticed the flicker on the CRTs, my eyes do not get as tired from watching LCDs all day.

If you are trading full time and have capital to invest in your business, I encourage you to consider LCDs.

#36     Nov 1, 2003
  7. jem

jem

Well I finally got my nvdia cards working (It seems my new computer may have a messed up agp slot.

I have 2 lcds next to 2 of my beloved sonys. I have the native resolution set on the lcds and consequently I had to run the crts at that res also.

The winner for charts by a fairly convincing margin is the Lcd. They make my sony's look old and tired. Perhapsthey are. But for text it just seems more comfortable looking at the Crts.

So far for trading I would give the edge to the lcds.

But I will report back on monday tues after I spend some time with my screens.

#37     Nov 1, 2003
  8. Merc

Merc

Which LCD's did you get?

Thanks.

#38     Nov 3, 2003