Flat panels worse than crt?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jem, Nov 1, 2003.

1. Oh well. It will certainly save you lot of heating costs if you live in Alaska... :p

#21     Nov 1, 2003
  2. nitro

nitro

#22     Nov 1, 2003
  3. but imho the finest LCD you will find. Pictured below is the 20 inch with 1680x1050 res.

http://www.apple.com/displays/acd20/

[​IMG]

btw, I'm 90% sure they will run on systems other than the macs listed if you have the right graphics card and use an adc to dvi converter.

#23     Nov 1, 2003
  4. Please take no offense to this, but the Apple stuff of recent years (all that transparent plastic fiddle diddle etc) has been widely ridiculed and referred to as pretty but impractical "wanker ware" by people in computer expert circles, and that's not only M$ users (which is llama ware), but also UNIX/Linux users, Sun users etc. Particularly the latter two like taking the mickey out of it.

There are many good reasons for it. But to illustrate the reasons for the Apple LCD, it's mainly the huge bezel (looks hell great if you're a designer wanker but is impractical if you wanna use more than one), space-wise.

To illustrate my point, compare the apple wanker monitor to, for example, a Samsung 191T triple:

[​IMG]

As you can see, although the system is running Llama-ware, it still doesn't look llama-like or even wanker-like, at least hardware-wise.

Again, please do not take any offense to my comments. I'm only being honest and straightforward. :)

Sincerely,
    Scientist.

#24     Nov 1, 2003
  5. In my experience, CRTs is more crisp than LCDs and I've done so many comparisons. You can see the pixels(if that's the correct terminology) in the LCDs but in CRTs, they seem nonexistent. I use high res and can't use the LCDs. That said, the space issue would drive me to the LCDs if they made them in the high res that I need.

#25     Nov 1, 2003
  6. No offense taken; I did not design the thing plus agree with you that the bezel and stand suck. Nonetheless they are gorgeous and I stare at them all day...

Practical and efficient have never been my main drivers- after all I trade options on the cboe all day. :)

Anyway I have 2 of them and wouldn't trade em...

check it out:

#26     Nov 1, 2003
  7. Nice. Belongs in the new "pictures of your setup" thread, too I reckon!

Going through that thread, you'll realize that you're not the only guy letting his pussy get dangerously close to his weaponry... :D

Scientist.

#27     Nov 1, 2003
  8. LCDs DON"T COMPARE to CRTs. The resolutions you can get out of a crt these days is unbelievable while LCD resolution still has a ways to go. I know a trader who switched from three LCDs to just ONE monitor with no loss of screenspace. Granted, the text size was very very small on the CRT as compared to the LCDs but traders get used to small text size, I imagine! Also, CRTs are SO much cheaper as they are consdiered "old technology."

#28     Nov 1, 2003
  9. The cat adds an element of coziness to your setup! Hope s/he's declawed....otherwise, bye bye laptop LCD...hehehe :)

#29     Nov 1, 2003
  10. OxonianTrader, the answer is to get larger LCD's.

Samsung offers very nice 21" and 24" LCD in an affordable bracket now, as well as the 45" ones, which are going for less than USD 10K each now I think.

Nice for DVD's too.

:)

#30     Nov 1, 2003