Flat Panel Monitors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bootsie, Apr 29, 2002.

1. Bootsie

Bootsie

Momo,
    Thanks for the response. I think those are the best choices so far. I'll let you know how I do...

Thx
    :D

#51     May 29, 2002
  2. chuv

chuv

I have 2 of those babies at work, having trouble looking at 17-inch CRT at home. They are kinda pricey but you pay for what you get, good things don't come cheap.

#52     May 29, 2002
  3. Ken_DTU

Ken_DTU

still doing research on flat panels, in the meantime, I think I'll get a couple of the sony 540s, they look good for 21" CRTs.. too bad all my local stores are sold out, nice 21" monitors for $600 ..

http://www.sonystyle.com/vaio/displays/cpd_e540.shtml

btw, putting my sony e400 side by side w/ viewsonic A90, both good 19" monitors, but having the flat glass of the sony is much better.. so, I'll stick w/sony's from now on..

btw I will never buy another samsung, I got one a couple of years ago and it broke two weeks out of its 90d warranty :wtf:

ken

#53     May 29, 2002
  4. TGregg

TGregg

The only problem I've found is that CRTs have much higher resolution than all but the extremely high end LCDs. And by extreme, I mean over 10 grand each. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to go digital LCD, but I've got two 21 inch CRTs running 2k x 1.5k giving me what feels like an acre of landscape (4096 x 1536 pixels total)

That really high end company mentioned earlier in the thread (9x graphics?) has an amazing 3 screen super system that has way more real estate than mine, but it retails for over 48 grand!

On the other hand, I live in the Southern USA (NC), and my office is over the garage - it get warm in this room, and summer is settling in. So, maybe I will invest in some cooler equipment, that way I can stop wiping up my chair :).

Also, be advised that there is a new triple monitor high end video card coming out near the end of June. Called Parephallia (sp? same thing as sundogs), I think it is from Matrox. Guesses on the street price range from 200 bucks to over $500. It sounds like an awesome card, but is only vaporware so far. If it rocks as much as the specs suggest, I'm getting one. And probably my first LCD monitor.

#54     May 29, 2002
  5. #55     May 29, 2002
  6. Does anyone know which LCD manufacturer currently offers the best warrenty. I had a viewsonic flat panel that developed brightness and pixel problems 2 months after the one-year warrenty expired, and I want a little more protection in the future.

#56     May 31, 2002
  7. Fletch

Fletch

NECs have a 3 year warranty... which is good because I've had to send in 5 LCDs for repair in the last 6 months

#57     May 31, 2002
  8. TGregg

TGregg

Truckloads of rumors concerning the release date abound, but "reliable" sources suggest that sample boards will be shipped to the media in July/August and the card to be publicly available in August. Dang.:confused:

#58     Jun 2, 2002
  9. exe

exe

Parhelia,

is an AGP only card and supports a maximum of 3 outputs. It will do 2 digital (or analog) plus one analog if you want to do the 3 max outputs.

#59     Jun 17, 2002
  10. Looks like a PC compatible version is available now. Only 17" though.

http://www.formac.com/html/shopformac.html?cid=shop_pr_displays

http://computers.cnet.com/hardware/0-2295747-404-8749847.html?tag=topfive

#60     Jul 21, 2002