Flat Panel Monitors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bootsie, Apr 29, 2002.

1. spieler

spieler

I use 4 EIZO 17''L565 with APPIAN X.
    It works great.

#11     May 6, 2002
  2. mktman

mktman

Is the quality of the Eizo monitors worth the added $$$$?

They are about to release a new line of LCD's.

Thx.

#12     May 6, 2002
  3. spieler

spieler

#13     May 7, 2002
  4. edil

edil

In the spirit of this thread, I want to ask if anyone has considered those plasma monitors for use in trading.

My thinking is instead of a cluster of monitors why not use just one large one? Has anyone tried this? Is it cost effective?

I also think it will look awsome on a trading station!

Thanks

#14     May 7, 2002
  5. spieler

spieler

I have a video projector and tried to day trade on a 3 meters diagonal on a giant screen.
    It is not that easy. I prefer my 4 screens just in front of me .

First you need to be in the dark ( not 100%) to have a better picture, then it looks strange ( megalomaniac) :).

Sometimes i manage seminars ( in France) on the topic and use to day trade this way.

And you have to change the lamp 1 or 2 times a year ( 500$).

You have to share your screen and each time you click on something other things deseappers ...

#15     May 7, 2002
  6. Our traders suggested that too; we looked at the price and told them they were crazy.

#16     May 7, 2002
  7. Eldredge

Eldredge

I just bought a new 18.1" LCD at my local Costco. It is a Sony SMD-M81, and it was $799.99. There is a $100 mail-in rebate from Sony right now, so the final cost will be $700. It seemed like a good deal, and they said I could return it within 30 days "no questions asked" if I didn't like it. So, I decided to give it a try. Does anyone have any comment on this monitor (good or bad)?

#17     May 7, 2002
  8. Eldredge

Eldredge

I got this monitor up and running, and I am pretty happy with it so far.

#18     May 8, 2002
  9. Fletch

Fletch

i bought some 18.1" NEC LCD1830s and have had 4 of them die in the last 2 months... I strongly suggest staying away from the NECs.

#19     May 8, 2002
  10. edil

edil

Sorry I could not get to you sooner. I bought a Sony SDM-M81 last February from PCMALL to replace my dead 19" old model. I got the same $100 deal but at that time it cost me $1000 after rebate. After 3 weeks it crashed (generated vertical lines all over the screen - permanently).

PCMALL kindly replaced it overnight by Fed express. BUT after about 3 weeks same thing happened (vertical lines)!!!. PCMALL then said they can replace it only once so I sent it to Sony for repair. It took Sony 1 month to figure out what to do. Finally, I got a brand new replacement 2 weeks ago (after about 8 hysteric phone calls!). In the meantime, I had to use 2 puny 15 inchers to trade @#$%!*^!~

Since they sent me the same model, I hope this one does not flush down the toilet too, although I like it overall -very bright and user friendly- while it is working. I have bought monitors since 1980 but this one I can call the MONITOR FROM HELL because of what happened.

I need a couple more 18" flat monitors to complete my setup but this time I am looking into the Samsung models based on recommendations in the spring Tradersworld magazine.

Cheers

#20     May 9, 2002