Flat out 2006

Discussion in 'Journals' started by 40yotrader, Dec 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Choad

Choad

WTG, 40! :cool:

#11     Jan 6, 2006
  2. good luck.

though i don't trade options, i believe there are a good barometer for the movement of the equities.

-krazy

#12     Jan 6, 2006
  3. Day 5

No trades today

Tomorrow

No trades for tomorrow

#13     Jan 9, 2006
  4. Sashe

Sashe

This is odd imho
    One day it's 68 trades and another day is nothing?
    Care to comment without revealing the material information?

TIA

#14     Jan 9, 2006
  5. My trading is split into two pieces. The first decides what day to trade based on the likelihood of a directional day . So far only one day this month has passed the scan. The 68 r/t's on that day are a function of the money management and risk sizing. On that day there were only two trades (volatility breakout down and up). The other two strategies (reversal and continuation) did not trade that day.

43yotrader

#15     Jan 10, 2006
  6. timmyz

timmyz

how did you do in 2005?

#16     Jan 10, 2006
  7. I netted $318,000 on a base of $300,000 with a smaller risk per-trade than this year. Would've done better but I lost money in December and screwed around alot during the year (mostly from boredom). Hopefully I'll stay on the straight and narrow with this journal used as a discipline tool.

43yotrader

#17     Jan 10, 2006
  8. jerryz

jerryz

very nice. i just scanned your last journal. looks like you cut it off pretty quickly. would you mind describing what you're doing?

#18     Jan 10, 2006
  9. I stopped posting in the first journal just before going live because posting and reading the posts stressed me out. There was so much negativity and pm's calling me punk, loser, etc.
    I came back after a couple weeks of live trading and found the journal closed. I figured who needs this and did my own thing for awhile.

I'm still doing about the same thing I did when I started. Looking for places where the market has a directional move. To take advantage of them, I use volatility breakouts (see Mark Fisher for examples). One of the problems with breakouts is retracements can be 50% or more of the daily range. Many times this causes a loss on one side of a volatility breakout when the reversal is entered during the retracement. Then when the market resumes the trend, you get another losing trade on the re-entry. I use a modified martingale money management approach so that when these reversals hit I increase my size to cover the losses. This is all part of the days trades. If the day doesn't have a direction I lose money. If it does, I make money. Pretty much all there is to it.

My other two strategies just add to the original. The reversal strategy looks for entries during the early period after a volatility breakout is entered. If found the reversal has the effect of locking in a small profit on the volatility breakout and staying flat until the volatility breakout hits going in the opposite direction.

The continuation strategy is a add-on trade to a existing winning volatility breakout trade after it reaches a certain profitability. This way on days with the biggest moves I have the largest position in place.

43yotrader

#19     Jan 10, 2006
  10. Day 6

No trades today

Tomorrow

No trades for tomorrow

#20     Jan 10, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.