"Fixing" Options Trades

Discussion in 'Options' started by lightrader, Mar 24, 2012.

1. bl82

bl82

I haven't been here in ages, but this seemed like a good excuse to drop in and say hello.

First, thanks for the interest in the blog and the magazine. Both are mostly fun, but can be more work than fun from time to time. If anyone is interested in submitting a guest article for Expiring Monthly, please let me know. We are always looking for new contributors and new perspectives. As for interviews, you don't need to be a regular on CNBC, but it does help to have a particular area of expertise or interest.

As far as the newsletter is concerned, I completely overhauled it in July 2011 to focus almost entirely on a more targeted analysis of the VIX futures term structure, VIX ETPs, other volatility indices, etc. In the past I had tried to appeal to a broader audience with something more generic (which may be what the criticism above was getting at), but after soliciting detailed feedback from my subscriber base, I have lately been focusing on more time and attention where I think my value-added is somewhat unique and creates a distinctly different and more interesting reading experience.

Of course when the VIX is in the 40s, everything suddenly gets more interesting...

Cheers,

-Bill

#41     Apr 1, 2012
  2. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

In response to Bill's post, I will say that I had subscribed in Spring 2011. I don't know what the new format is like.

#42     Apr 2, 2012
  3. Man this is great. I´m reading through this thread, and I actually understood a good portion of what was being said. Progress is being made in knowledge by this novice. But not in my equity sadly. I win it and still lose it.

#43     May 18, 2012
  4. sle

sle

I am surely going off-topic, but why is it that when people happen to be making money (a.k.a "are profitable") they think that they know enough and do not need to learn anything new?

PS. It especially puzzles me in the world of convex instruments like options, where you can be "profitable" for long stretches of time simply by being short risk premium.

#44     May 18, 2012
  5. Have to disagree. Nothing wrong with adjusting (though I wouldn't call it a "repair") if a position goes against you.

Sell naked Puts and the stock tanks then close them off and open lower, sell a few calls to the upside too. Works for me, not that I haven't taken some big losses, I have. But alot less than had i done nothing !

#45     May 30, 2012
  6. Whatever. I am not going to argue semantics, but there is a difference between a delta-adjustment and adding duration or vol risk.

Get out of prison recently?

#46     May 30, 2012
  7. LOL. Been really busy with the day job, oh....and a divorce !

Hope to get on these boards more often, I miss the pearls of wisdom :)

#47     May 30, 2012

8. Good to see you back. Sorry about the unfortunate circumstances (or fortunate, depending on your view).

#48     May 30, 2012
  9. Worth every penny mate, should have done it years ago ! Speak soon.

#49     May 30, 2012