Fix unemployment by changing constitution so every kid gets an ipod and a laptop

Discussion in 'Economics' started by peilthetraveler, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Aren't iphone and ipad actually made in China?

#11     Mar 9, 2011
  2. S2007S

S2007S

The iphone and ipad are made in china not America!!!!!

The iphone is made at foxconn,

Why would anyone believe those 2 products are made in America. If they were they would cost probably double what they cost right now.

Someone doesn't have the facts straight.

#12     Mar 9, 2011
  3. #13     Mar 9, 2011
  4. LeeD

LeeD

Agree, it's pure populism targeted at aggressively ignorant people (I don't know and don't wanna know time.)

Or worse, pork.

The issue of who receives the monetary rewards from sale of iPhones and iPads (which is discussed in the article on slashdot) is irrelevant. Even if the Chinese who make it receive only 2% of the profit, still these products create far more jobs in China than in the US.

On the global scale, things works in the opposite way compared to personal budget. By keeping Renminbi exchange rate low (that is selling goods abroad artificially cheap) China effectively created a modern-age industrial revolution. On the other hand, the US lost jobs and whole factories ot China.

#14     Mar 9, 2011
  5. #15     Mar 9, 2011
  6. MKTrader

MKTrader

Not surprising. McCain was just the Tweedledum to Obama's Tweedledee in the last election. Both were in love with the pork-riddled spendulous that was passed right around election time.

#16     Mar 9, 2011
  7. Exactly my point.

To get American workers back on their feet, we need something BIG! What could be bigger than Apple products? But if the products are manufactured and assembled in China, no product could be "big enough".

Personally, I'd like to see the US adopt a policy of maximizing the use of natural gas as a transportation fuel. Get our people working on the build-out of the infra and delivery structure + manufacturing and installing conversion kits on gasoline engines.

#17     Mar 9, 2011
  8. http://thinkprogress.org/2011/03/06/john-mccain-wrong-ipad-iphone/

In fact, the Taiwanese-based electronic manufacturing company Foxconn makes the iPad and the iPhone. Foxconn gained notoriety last year when its overworked employees began committing a rash of suicides. Many other Taiwanese companies also benefit from the Apple supply chain.

#18     Mar 10, 2011
  9. Economic mobility != Social mobility
    http://goo.gl/K8Pg

Social mobility is an universal problem and I invite Americans to venture into this domain.

#19     Mar 10, 2011