first time today.. question

Discussion in 'Forex' started by cornelius, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Thanks! That was the problem. Ninjatrader uses IDEAL as its
    default exchange.

#11     Dec 18, 2008
  2. DaveN

DaveN

If you were trading the EUR.USD, today was not a normal day. After a long, accelerated run up in price, the spreads widened and the market was moving quickly as the price was pulling back. ECN spreads were wider than normal, as were the spreads in some of better dealing desks (like OandA, which was double or triple its normal 0.9 pips in the EUR/USD). You can tell when news or high volatility comes up as the spread just gets wide. Almost all trading platforms that I know of are color coded to hightlight this. It'll be a good thing to watch going forward.

The moves were quicker today as well. Some very large bars got painted very, very quickly.

All that said, 41 pips is too much slippage. It sounds like routing was your culprit.

Also, just as a suggestion, I'd prefer to always use limit orders to enter and exit positions. Even if I cross into the book with a limit that's 5 pips beyond the best bid or offer, it does help prevent getting that terrible fill in fast markets.

#12     Dec 18, 2008
  3. PaulRon

PaulRon

you got robbed

#13     Dec 18, 2008
  4. Actually it shouldnt have mattered if it was IDEAL or
    IDEALPRO, right? I still got scammed out of 40 pips.

#14     Dec 18, 2008
  5. Far less liquidity on IDEAL than IDEALPRO so the spreads are much wider hence you can't hit the bid/ask and expect a good price. It matters...

#15     Dec 18, 2008
  6. cvds16

cvds16

yes, it should, read how IB forex works, you should have known this ! If you want to trade use big enough size to use IB Idealpro so you won't have this problem. It did 90 trades today, I had a few with 5 pips slippage, which is extremely unusual for IB. 2 pips slippage is rather unusual too for IB normally but happened a few times too today.

#16     Dec 18, 2008
  7. This is what is called tuition. 40 pips is painful but I'll bet you never make this particular mistake again. You'll make more mistakes as you learn, as we all do, so just mark it up to education and try not to repeat the same lessons as you progress.

#17     Dec 18, 2008
  8. My lesson was well learned and Im glad that I didnt
    lose more.
    I just hope my Ninjatrader is configured correctly now
    and I wont have any more technical difficulties.

#18     Dec 19, 2008
  9. cvds16

cvds16

be certain too you trade enough size, or your order will be redirect to ideal anyway. I recommend at least 100K anyway due to costs.

#19     Dec 19, 2008
  10. Ok. So my lesson wasnt learned. Fucking piece of shit Ninjatrader sent my order to ideal again and I lost another
    40 pips.

#20     Dec 19, 2008