First time in the Flow…

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Onra, Dec 16, 2012.

1. NoDoji

NoDoji

Last week, my friend told me he had to "build stamina". I'd never thought of it that way :p

FWIW, this is still my experience every day. I finally learned to pull the curtain on that part of me and let the relaxed "odds are in your favor all day every day" part of me do the trading.

#11     Dec 16, 2012
    Hooti likes this.
  2. That's true and definitely a factor. But here's something you may not have considered. A psychological study that I read about in a book called "Scream Free Marriage" says that when emotions are heightened to the point that you have to actively suppress them or let them out, the part of your brain responsible for reasoning and logic actually shuts down.
    In other words, emotional "real" trading leads to mental fog and emotion free "virtual" trading allows you to think clearly.
    The paper trades you did were done with a clear mind. Had you done them in real life, you may not have had a mind clear enough to make the right decisions. But maybe you would have. The question is, can you trade that well in any market? Trending or swinging? Volatile or not? Virtual trading is the test for me because it is done with that part of my brain still active. If I can't do it virtually, I don't have a winning system.

#12     Jan 4, 2013
  3. I don't know if this helps, but it's a real bitch when you lost in four hours what you use to make in a month.

Not too bad until the Holidays come around, and you have to be there with all the wives dressed up, and everybody else has a stable income, with probably a raise each year regardless of how bad the company is doing.

And the funny thing is, they think you are the cool guy who escaped the rat race.

I finally got so tired of everybody thinking I was making a killing, that when anybody asked, I just quietly said, "I'm involved in the financial markets."

#13     Jan 4, 2013
  4. Onra

Onra

Well, the fun didn't last forever, as you might have guessed...
    I guess I owe everyone an update :)

My strategy was based on scalping out 2/3 of my position.
    So the tension if a trade works or not, lasted only brief.

The rest was used for a swing.
    That forced me to stay alert, but relaxed; either go with the flow or get out.
    Succes follows succes; if the trades are going well, you don't feel upset over (small) losers.

So, a gradually changing environment works best for me.
    The feeling is gone in chop or volatile big swings.

#14     Jan 4, 2013
  5. yeah, funny thing about that, and I don't really have a logical explanation.

The two things that really hurt me was number one

1. Trying to get out on a trailing stop

and number two

2. Scaling out of losses

to the point where I didn't even want to know what the truth was, I just know it took something that was profitable into a very consistent quick loss

and the funny thing, doing it on the other side, for instance, scaling out of profits has been ok

this trading can be a very mysterious thing

I only have two rules, never use trailing stops, and never scale out of a loss

and I have position on since 2013 that is just a constant aggravation and loses me money everyday

and I am thinking about just scaling out of it, because I can't take it anymore

so that shows you how much my rules are worth

hopefully, just talking about it will get my head screwed on back straight, and I will do the right thing

#15     Jan 4, 2013
  6. speres

speres

I remember it hapenning to me too. Bit of a moment isnt it.

An all new world is opening up to you now so to stay fluid
    you need to diarise , screen shots etc and capture what youve seen

#16     Jan 5, 2013
  7. cornix

cornix

That's normal. You likely incurred serious stress during your long way to profitability. When you got positive result it feels like "too good to be true" and there's fear it may be just coincidence.

Don't put the pressure on yourself. Instead try to think logically. You had a good streak on both live and demo? Great! Does it have enough trades to constitute significant sample size (theory of probability says 30+ sample size constitutes unlikely random event)?

If logically you see you unlikely delude yourself then only thing left is self-confidence. This should be gained by... trading. :)

Demo, small size live or large size live, doesn't matter so much. Just need to make more trades so that new, winning experience forces out old, losing experience.

Good luck!

#17     Jan 6, 2013
  8. ============
    [1]If extreme profits were based on extreme size;
    sure. I never pay much atterntion to willingly ignorant laughs like those,, that would laugh @ a question like that.

[2]No ,,no way;
    trends tend to persist,persist longer than most all figure,, incliding equity trend:cool:

#18     Jan 28, 2013
  9. you may want to examine what is going on for you.

Several syndromes and pysiological adverse effects are now permanent in your makeup.

The most devistating for you is the Lizard Syndrome it is long term.

shorter terms effects show up in about all the time you are in a trade (not too much of the RTH).

Hyperventilation.

Hypocapnia

Lactic acid production

Metabolic acidosis.

The cause is not knowing what you are doing. Often this is called stress.

your trading syptoms are:

Early exits

freezing

peeing more frequently

tired

not sleeping

a 25% increase in breathing rate.

the psyiological problems are:

increased CO 2 retention

pH screwed up

less O2 reaching your brain.

If you continue as you are for more than 2 weeks, you can incur permanent psyiological changes.

Some people are not meant to be traders. Your body below the neck is an important indicator you are trying to ignore.

CO2 retention in the brain is a bad idea.
    the normal lactic acid is 4% and you are probably running @ 30%.

#19     Jan 29, 2013
  10. Onra

Onra

:eek:
    This is going to kill me...

#20     Jan 30, 2013