First time futures trader, assistance needed

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by Relleum, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Relleum

Relleum

FYI, in at 91.

And btw, I'm trading with play money, so don't worry about me (a couple of contracts per trade, at most).

Well, that is unless it moves a hundred points against me. But I doubt that will happen with my stops.

--Relleum

#21     Jan 7, 2008
  2. Hard Stops? Trailing Stops? And what are they set at?

#22     Jan 7, 2008
  3. Relleum

Relleum

Anybody else making a killing off all this volatility?

#23     Jan 7, 2008
  4. Big AAPL

Big AAPL

Yea, I'm killin' it with play money too.

#24     Jan 7, 2008
  5. Relleum

Relleum

Some of you guys are total assholes. I've made thousands today because the few contracts that I traded moved almost 200 points in my favor today.

So many gotdamn haters.

--Relleum

#25     Jan 7, 2008
  6. Big AAPL

Big AAPL

That's not my quote and I wasn't trying to be an asshole.

#26     Jan 7, 2008
  7. Relleum

Relleum

My apologies. I thought you were making fun of the fact that I said I was using play money, and then hours later I said "making a killing".

I meant to quote myself, to show that even play money with just 2-3 contracts can become thousands when it moves so much (either with you or against you).

Today I got lucky, with the majority of my trades moving in my favor.

--Relleum

#27     Jan 7, 2008
  8. Big AAPL

Big AAPL

No problem. I'm in the same boat as you my friend. I believe that forward testing a mostly discretionary strategy requires hard time on a SIM. Those that take it seriously can greatly reduce their initial mistakes which are bound to happen when going live. But there are going to be people who disagree with the use of a SIM. Most respondents give sound advice with regard to proper money management and stop placement.

While some previous posters may be breaking your chops, a few are quietly telling you to make sure you have an actual plan in place to prevent meltdown.

#28     Jan 7, 2008
  9. I think stops are always a tough one. They get taken out and then the market moves in your direction without you, but then stops are vital in case the market doesn't resume in your direction. Do you guys prefer Hard Stops or Trailing Stops?

#29     Jan 7, 2008
  10. Big AAPL

Big AAPL

I tried trailing stops. Sometimes they work, sometimes not. I've settled on S/R levels, so hard stops are my insurance of choice. It tells me when I'm wrong, and that's the best advice Mr. Market can give me.

#30     Jan 7, 2008