First smart thing I heard on CNBC this year

Discussion in 'Trading' started by vladiator, Dec 30, 2002.

1. Watch Bloomberg... better than CNBC... though I don't watch TV and trade unless Sponge Bob Square Pants is on Nickolodean.

#21     Jan 6, 2003
  2. Babak

Babak

The MM theorem states that it doesn't matter if a company makes a dividend or buys back equity. The net effect is the same (in a frictionless world).

Think about it. If a company buys back its equity. That money is out of the pockets of the company and into the pockets of an investor. Just as it would be, had it declared a dividend.

It is the same from the viewpoint of the company. It isn't from the viewpoint of the investor. Because some would sell while others may want the dividend. In any case it is only a theory. Albeit one that won its creators the Nobel prize.

#22     Jan 6, 2003
  3. trdrmac

trdrmac

I think it was Active Trader that had an article on the Dogs this month or last. It seems I remember the return was (-18%) for the past year. However, MO had a good run from 18 to 50 in 2000-2001 and I think EK ran from 25 to 35 over the past year.

(If it was not AT, it was one of the other Business Mags, I don't think any of my quilting mags ran the story.)

#23     Jan 6, 2003
  4. WarEagle

WarEagle Moderator

What does a subscription to "Active Quilter" run these days anyway? I let mine expire a while back...

#24     Jan 6, 2003
  5. trdrmac

trdrmac

Last I checked it was about $50 a year, little too rich for my blood. I usually just snoop through when Im at Borders.

#25     Jan 6, 2003
  6. Why is it that the really moronic people on CNBC say "bellwether" and "buy and large" all the time?

#26     Jan 7, 2003
  7. What these analyst dont say is they get lots of money from company that are worth crap and cant pay dividend because they are so much in debt and cant make any money.
    These are the same analysts that were telling everyone Enron was a good buy 2 weeks before it went broke, and some still belive them.

And can one explain to me what growth is.
    Since when is it bad to make money without getting bigger .? Just turning a profit day in day out......

#27     Jan 7, 2003
  8. ... you make it sound as if it wasn't factored in for some reason.

Dividends only count b/c there are market frictions and b/c there are psychological nuances to their existence.

#28     Jan 7, 2003
  9. Why is it not the same from the perspective of an investor, ignoring market frictions??? I either get the dividend or have a "homemade" dividend by selling a portion of my stocks after the price gain.

#29     Jan 7, 2003
  10. in theory you are correct but in reality what was happening was that management was using the excess cash to enrich themselves or overspending in purchasing other companys at huge market premiums. at least if the cash is paid out as dividends it cant be wasted by corrupt or inept management.

#30     Jan 7, 2003