First New York Securities

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by Cramerholic, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Cramerholic, it's not about your resume: its is whether you can put up numbers or not. Plain and simple.

#11     Nov 29, 2005
  2. John,

How do they know recent college grads can put up numbers? I'm just saying the resume gets you the interview. I think I should at least get the interview. I know when I'm there I will have to put up numbers or I will lose the job, but I'm just talking about getting in the door.

#12     Nov 29, 2005
  3. Firms that pay salary and actually train you are too competitive for most people to even consider...

Thats the beauty of having firms like bright in the world. You don't need a physics, math, engineering degree with a 4.0 gpa to be able to trade millions. You just need a few grand... I think thats fair.

#13     Nov 29, 2005
  4. Here is a simple answer for you: they can mold the new guys to the way they want. Experienced guys are less prone to change their ways (even if they want to for the sake of the job).

John

#14     Nov 29, 2005
  5. That's exactly what they told me back in 2000 when I sent my resume. Although maybe it was because I didn't go to a top tier school too. But my school was voted best party school in Playboy the year I graduated! :) Top that FNYS!

#15     Nov 29, 2005
  6. BLip

BLip

John,

If someone five years out of school were trying to apply to FNYS (or any paying prop firm, for that matter) from a different field (say, IT), would real estate investments count towards being able to make the numbers? Say someone netted $175k in 3 years (on an initial $15k investment), would that be taken into consideration?

#16     Nov 29, 2005
  7. Thats a great track record, however, it is much different than being a PM and running a $5-$10M book.

Did you ever think how would you trade that type of capital? How would you hedge it? Would you be fully invested/traded every day? There is a big difference in putting up numbers in your account, and putting up MANDATORY numbers every month to stay at a job/get a job.

Hope this helps,

John

#17     Nov 29, 2005
  8. Which school was that? Albany?

#18     Nov 29, 2005
  9. You got it! SUNY Albany. I don't know how Playboy ever came about putting us at #1...I heard it was just some survey results or something.

#19     Nov 29, 2005
  10. Used to go there every other weekend and party with friends. I have a scant recollection of "The Branch" :)

#20     Nov 29, 2005