First New York Securities Interview Help?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by ZenWarrior, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Ok, before we start flaming. I read 23 pages on this forum using the search function on interview questions. I've also read every thread regarding fnysllc I'm simply looking for specifics which I did not find in those posts. I read the vault guide to finance interviews and am drilling my answers to common questions. I just wanted to know from some people that had experience with their particular interview process what I could expect? Any insight would be amazing. Thanks for your help.

2. i interviewed before with a mark. whole interview i just sat next to a senior trader and watched him buy and sell 50k shares of some stock. After that my eyes rolled out and i ended up stuttering the whole interview.

3. What kind of questions were you asked?

Was it a stress test type interview?

Was there math involved?

How long was it?

Did the senior trader interview you?

Thanks for any clarification.

4. Hey,

I interviewed with this firm recently and the previous poster who said he sat with a trader got it spot on. I did the same thing and interviewed with someone called domino or something right after I think.

Anyways, my 2 cents worth:
    1) If you can get into a bank (even bottom tiered), go do that instead of joining fnys, there isn't any point joining this sort of operation if you have a real alternative.

2) Banks are not going to hire fnys or any other prop traders ever. Forget about that route.

3) If you don't have a job, this is your only choice, at least they pay you a base so fnysllc should be your first choice if you have to resort to prop firms. Don't bother with places like smb trading or any other day trading shops, those are downright scams regardless of what they "seem" to offer.

4) If you aren't from an ivy league/top tier school, and this is your only route into trading, I suggest going for an mba/grad school at a target school. Or better yet, get a phd.

PS: A lot of bull shit out on the streets, take what these trading shops tell you with a pinch of you-know-what.

Good luck and pm me if you need more insights for fny.

5. famumoe

famumoe

I interviewed with them a few weeks ago. I guess I did not make it too watching sometrade but none the less we spoke for 45 minutes about my athletic and military career. I played college football and served in Iraq. But I did not get the gig. I second that if you can get into a "bulge bracket firm" try that route. Its very hard right now but not impossible.

6. Yeah just an extra note, I hope more people with queries PM me.

I just realize how many of these prop shops are taking advantage of current market turmoil to lure top candidates into a less than ideal environment. It is kind of worrying.

I am wondering if I should contact my university's career services to warn them about this, but I guess that would hamper the career of some people. Sitting at a prop desk is better than not having a desk to sit at.

Also, go for the bulge bracket position, I went through hell but still got an offer from a desk. Hard work pays off, remember that and good luck to job seekers.

7. axehawk

axehawk

What were your credentials/stats that got you into a bulge bracket?

8. This is your opinion and it is mostly wrong. Maybe instead of listening to your bosses at your corporate job, try using your own head.

9. famumoe

famumoe

I too work for a bulge bracket bank on the Asset Mgmt side. Its not impossible to get on a desk, just extremely difficult with the markets in such turmoil. Just last week I went to speak with some contacts over on one of the desks and 4 people were fired that day as I walk in to try and get in on the desk....Not impossible,just very difficult right now.

10. Credentials are rather typical I'm afraid, top tiered college, varied internships which are more towards quantitative side, strong academic background related to markets and decent interviewing skills. I think bulge brackets look for people who are smart (evidenced by college/grades), interested in industry (internships) and competitive (interviews, activities). But in current markets, all these are not good enough to get you onto the desk. It is honestly really bad, comparable to 2002 if not worse. I saw a candidate got rejected and he was from a top uni in the UK, internship with goldman sachs NY and was pretty personable from my interaction with him. But you have to stick it out and just be competitive to eventually land the job.

#10     Feb 27, 2008