first basic home trade station questions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wiridil, Aug 13, 2010.

1. You may want to check with the tech support from the vendor who sells this kind of software on this question.

I used to use Camtasia to record my trading session. TradeStation charts. I had 6 x 19" monitors on my computer. But I decided to record only 1.25 monitor worth of screen space. Camtasia took it over up to about 2 hours of recording. Anything beyond 2 hours, it took forever to finish the recording on the disk (like waited for 8 hours and still not finished... I ended up aborting). Subsequently I had to break up my recordings into about 1 hour to 1.5 hour each. And I needed to trigger the recording-start multiple times througout the day.

Your config for 4 x 24" screen space, and up to 6.5 to 7 hours of recording each day... I have doubt that it can be done.

The graphics card would probably be irrelevant. But you may not find a fast enough CPU to process the information, and a disk drive fast enough to record all the data, and large enough to contain the data generated every day for a good period of time.

My Camtasia recording files (1.5 hour worth) were about 100MB each, something like that. So 1 day would be 700MB. 25 days would be 17GB. That's on a resolution of only about 1900 x 900.

It can't be generalized easily because their screen capturing software may have ways to reduce disk usage. The best is to get a trial copy of the software and do some actual recording on smaller screen space, then extrapolate.

#51     Oct 1, 2010